Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
mycamisabrick
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

Is there a solution to the dreaded solid amber light? Just bought two new Arlo Qs from Amazon and both have the issue. I plug them in, light turns solid amber, and that's it. It never changes. I press the sync button and nothing. It just stays solid amber. I press the reset button (for 10+s) and nothing happens. I try the buttons for 30+s. Nothing. Always a solid amber. I unplug, wait about 30s, plug back in. Solid amber.

I have submitted support ticket, but just wondering if anyone else has been able to fix this problem.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi mycamisabrick,

The solid amber LED means that the camera is booting up. Try unplugging the Arlo Q cameras and wait for one minute to plug it back in. Then try to hold the reset button until you hear the camera click.

mycamisabrick
Aspirant
Aspirant

This did not work. I unplugged it for about 5 min, plugged it back in, waited a few min, then tried to reset. It would not reset. Then tried the sync button and the LED did not change to blue.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

I would suggest waiting for the support team's response so they can determine to see if it may be a hardware issue. If you haven't heard back from the support team yet, let me know.

SlowCooking
Aspirant
Aspirant

@mycamisabrick Here's what my Q is doing during boot up after factory reset.

1. Disconnect the cable.

2. Plug in the cable and the led is solid amber.

3. Wait for about 1 minute. There's a couple of clicking sound (ircut filter check) followed by led changing to fast blinking amber.

If it's stuck in solid amber and you don't hear any clicking sound, then you could try factory reset which I am sure you have tried already. For factory reset, press and hold the pinhole reset button for about 10 seconds until the camera turns itself off and reboot.

Ctritt
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem as everyone else on this page. Brand new out of box. Cycles between solid amber and blinking amber. Making sounds on the blinking amber.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi Ctritt,

Have you tried the suggested troubleshooting steps above?

SoFarAway
Aspirant
Aspirant

I has the same thing, the little book didn't say "be in the same room as your wifi router" so it just stuck at the amber light. I had to unplug the device for 24 hours, then after I plugged it in, I was able to hold the rest button and it went to the blinking light to do the setup. I don't know if it needs 24 hours, but I gave up in frustration and tried again the next day and it worked. May need time to lose it's "memory" but that's what worked for me.

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

Isn't amber when it's trying to connect to the router ?

From my observations solid amber is trying to connect to router, flashing amber is trying to connect to Arlo HQ, blue/purple is trying to handshake with Arlo HQ and blue is a good connection.

Try rebooting the router and go again.

JerryZhang
Initiate
Initiate

Same issue.

- Most time solid amber and some very short period blinking amber.

- Tried to press sync button during the very short blinking amber period, see blue, can scan QR code, hear chime sound but it returns to solid amber and never get connected.

- Tried to press sync button during solid amber but nothing happen.

- I'm 100% sure the wifi information is correct and the wifi is WAP2.

- Tried pressing reset button for 10s, 30s, 60s. Sometimes there are some different color light blinking, sometimes not. But it always returns to the "always-amber" state and never get connected.

- Very frustrated and angry. Arlo is not worth its price. Expensive and bad quality of services.

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

Same exact issue with me. Camera worked perfectly fine for a few months, then I unplugged it for a few months, and today when I plugged it back in to keep the FW updated, it showed as "disconnected", so I removed it per the instructions in the app, but upon trying to re-add it to the system I get a solid amber light no matter what. It sucks because this is obviously an issue with the product, not the result of user error, yet here we are. Another expensive Arlo paperweight with no way to bring it back to life. Thanks, Arlo!

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

If you're experiencing your Arlo Q camera to show the solid amber light even when trying to power cycle or reset the Arlo Q camera, please contact the Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

devotchko
Luminary
Luminary

Interesting development. Same issue, solid amber, no blue light, pressing reset does nothing. Tried unplugging it for 24 hours, but that did nothing. Today I plugged it back in, used the app to re-pair it, but this time when it displayed the QR code I pretended the camera was in pairing mode even though I still had the solid amber light. Of course there was no chime, but I ignored that and clicked on next in the app so it would start looking for the camera. Strangely, it did find it, allowed me to add it, rename it, and I even got the dialog saying the camera was now "active". When I go to my devices, it shows up, and tries to connect but never manages to. I'm leaving it on just in case for some reason the FW is trying to update in the background (I did get the same error when I added a brand new camera this week). If by tomorrow it still does not show a feed, I will try rebooting the network just in case it can trigger a redownload of the FW. Let's see what. happens.

2L8
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just tried the above suggestion with my Q , low and behold it worked!. It might take a couple times and starting over, but once the network sees it you are there. I had to re-enter the SSID and pswd a couple times after it would drop. But it worked.

I did do a hard re-set after my "solid amber, then off" issue and I got a pop and wiggle after about 30-45 sec. After a re-boot it gave me the flashing amber and my sync made the blue light flash. Paper weight turned into a camera again.

Thanks to you all.

2L8