Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Problems with "Record until activity stops" -- Arlo Q

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
pinkluna
Follower
Follower

Two problems:

1. As other have mentioned, the recording stops after about 20 seconds even if there is continued motion in the zone.  Advice here seems to be that the featureis still in development and that we should continue to used fixed recording time until they work it out.

2. Every time I set the mode to record a fixed time, it automatically gets reset to "Record until activity stops" -- so I am effectively locked into the mode that doesn't work properly

HW Version:  VMC3040r6

Firmware: 1.8.3.0_9926

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you properly saving?   The save after adjusting the time amount is on the previous page accessed by using BACK on upper left of page

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The "record until motion stops" issue is with the Pro cameras where the option has been removed.  It's always been available in the Q cameras and has been working fine, AFAIK.  As mentioned, be sure you're saving your changes.

turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:

The "record until motion stops" issue is with the Pro cameras where the option has been removed.  It's always been available in the Q cameras and has been working fine, AFAIK.  As mentioned, be sure you're saving your changes.

The Q has not worked correctly since i purchased one two days ago. in almost every clip below the motion is longer than 30 seconds yet the clips, for the most part, stop after ~20. i regularly see two clips back to back (see 11:19 22s, 11:20 15s and 11:03 26s, 11:03 20s) that should just be one longer clip. 

With that said, I really like the addition of the Q to the rest of my 4 camera arlo pro system. I also like the fact* that it seems to actually be buffering the video somehow so that when motion is detected it actually starts the clip a few seconds before the motion was actually detected, ex: every time a car comes down my street the video basically starts before the car actually comes into the frame.

*Which actually makes me think these things are defaulting to continuous video recording and just recording limited clips online until you upgrade.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Two things:

1) "record until motion stops" means motion has to be detectable. Are you using zones?

2) the Q cameras are constantly streaming which is how CVR works (optional). Thus, your videos will have a pre-buffer built into the video so you see the few seconds just before the actual motion.

Unfortunately, use of CVR deletes that pre-buffer. I had a case open on that and was told it's by design since I have CVR to see what happened just before the video. I disagreed that this should happen by design or any other reason but was shot down.
turbosix
Apprentice
Apprentice
Not using zones. It didn't even bother so IMO it should just default to looking for motion in the entire frame. I have a perfect example this morning of the trash truck coming into my culdesac. It has blinking strobe lights all over it and only slows to back up and turn around.

Even with that I have three separate (44s, 22s, 23s) videos that if I combined in Sony Vegas would be pretty seamless.

I could up the sensitivity but it's already ridiculously sensitive to start recording. Odd that it cuts off when it does.