Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
jcsieben
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can someone help me setup the Arlo Q to record to the primary destination of the SD card, and mirror it at the secondary destination of the Arlo cloud?

I know I get 7 days of record free on the cloud, but I live in a tech savvy neighbourhood and wifi/radio signals get drowned out often. I can't even watch a streaming from Google Play movie without interference.

So, as a user Im trying to find a way to record locally first, then as internet is available upload the video clips to the cloud. Otherwise, they are inaccessible from the cloud, and I have to manually get them from the SD card.

Ideally, I'd like Arlo to sell me a recording server I can keep at home myself, and access myself,, and mirror to their cloud as necessary. I'd even pay the extra subscription to host locally.

Also with the looming of loss of net neutrality it could get ultra expensive to run an Arlo setup without full local storage.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q camera does not have local backup storage option ( tho the Q Plus does have the option for a mem card to do so ).

If you have an Arlo Pro or Pro 2 base, the back usb port gives the option for mirroring ( as backup; spped stick or hd to 2TB ) ) any video that goes to the cloud.... that is the only option for local storage.... but the base unit will only backup local the cameras sync'ed to it.

The Q cameras do not use a base as they hook into your home wifi system directly ( and do not sync to the base unit )

So either you need a Q Plus or a Pro/Pro2 base and cameras to have a local backup. ( and it will not operate properly without internet connections )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q camera does not have local backup storage option ( tho the Q Plus does have the option for a mem card to do so ).

If you have an Arlo Pro or Pro 2 base, the back usb port gives the option for mirroring ( as backup; spped stick or hd to 2TB ) ) any video that goes to the cloud.... that is the only option for local storage.... but the base unit will only backup local the cameras sync'ed to it.

The Q cameras do not use a base as they hook into your home wifi system directly ( and do not sync to the base unit )

So either you need a Q Plus or a Pro/Pro2 base and cameras to have a local backup. ( and it will not operate properly without internet connections )

Morse is faster than texting!
jcsieben
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the response. That answer it for me.

Seems like there are other statistics being collected if you have to have an internet connection. I'm looking for functionality as robust as Arlo, but local storage only. Trust is a factor these days in business.

Like it or leave it, I've got only a choice to trust Netgear Arlo or not with a forced connection through their servers.