Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

No two way talk

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
JonWVBFL
Follower
Follower
So the only feature that is not working for me with the ARLO Q is the two way talking. I have tested it with different phones, rebooted the device but still no one can hear me when I use the microphone button. Any one else have luck with this?
12 REPLIES 12
ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine is working but the delay, up to 5 seconds, makes having a normal conversation difficult. Also, it seems that the camera picks up your voice when you are speaking to it from the app.  For example if I'm using my app to transmit my voice to the camera and say "hello", about 5 seconds later, my "hello" will come back to me on my mobile device.  This gets real confusing with conversation. 

mriel
Aspirant
Aspirant

It sucks. Arlo says thats all it can do. Deceptive advertising of what it will do. Went through 2 days of Tech support and time to finally be told it has no volume 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Different devices respond differently... I do get a 2 sec delay, but audio works better on the Ipad over my android phone... it could be as simple as the processor speed is much faster on the ipad.  I also hear little back feed on the Ipad compared to the PC

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
C_mat
Aspirant
Aspirant
I get a connection failed everytime using the mic. Have attempted on a laptop and app with same result. Using a netgear r7000 router and updated all firmware along with multiple reboots with same result.
C_mat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Looking at the mic it had plastic blocking so I removed and getting better results. A few lost connections still happen
3v3ntH0riz0n
Apprentice
Apprentice
+1 This!!! I bought Arlo shortly after it came out. I wasn't happy about the base station, but my four cameras were reporting movement almost real time. Those little eggs were working their magic. I bit the bullet and picked up this Arlo Q with the hopes that I could use it to check in on the kids when they are home from school. Before setting it up, I logged into my NetGear R7000 and noticed it could now "manage" my Arlo camers and I could dump the base station. I updated the firmware on my router, and then I was able to add all five of my cameras to my router. I was very pleased with that. However, I started testing the Arlo Q. The performance was sub par. You can use it to detect sound and alert you, but if you think you are going to hold a conversation with anyone over this device, you are crazy. I have internet only at my home (95 MB down). I have the bandwidth and my Netgear R7000 is on the latest firmware, as are the cameras, and my 2.4 and 5.0 networks are on the best possible channels to avoid interference. I no longer have a wireless phone in the house (no more land line). My various test, looking at the app on my computer and on my Iphone 6, shows significant delay in images when compared to the other older eggs. If I move around in the view of these cameras, there is a slight delay on the eggs, but the Arlo Q is much higher. Tonight I dropped the Arlo Q to 720 P. I am hoping that will make a difference, but I suspect it won't. I won't return the camera, but I hope NetGear can do something to address the issue of sending audio and video over a network that has mutliple devices connected. My upload speeds are like 5mb btw. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it. The Arlo Q camera is in the same room with the router, mounted high on the wall and has los to the router, which is about 24-30 feet away.
//shutdown -h now
ToastyFlake
Apprentice
Apprentice
When you say there is a delay, what is the delay in? Notification on your app, receiving the video, recording starting? One thing that I've noticed on my Q is that it actually captures video from a few seconds before the triggering event. On my eggs there is a delay between the motion trigger and the video recording, so often the subject will move out of camera view before the egg starts recording. On my system, the Q does not have this problem.
3v3ntH0riz0n
Apprentice
Apprentice
So last night I was at home, and I remembered to test this. I brought up my portal on my pc, and looked at the live feed of the Q vs one of my Eggs and then I moved my arm up and down, the live view from the egg was showing the activity closer to real time compared to the Q. I will say, I found another post, where someone mentioned that you can go into the Q settings, and adjust the mic sound detection level, as well as the record length. I made these modifications, mostly to the mic back ground noise detection level, I think I dropped it from 5 to 3, and the lag of my movement in real time compared to what I saw on screen had improved significantly.
//shutdown -h now
C_mat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the additional info and experiencing similiar results.  I moved my r7000 router so direct line of sight and internet is higher than yours (161Mps) down (11) up.  Still have lag in audio of about 5 seconds so 2 way communication sucks.  Finding the Arlo q is best is high traffic areas as no need to worry about battery drain and sound detection is decent.   Also, the mic does not work on my Anroid app (Samsung S6 Verizon).  Tried all around town with full 4G signal with similiar results.  Ig the signal is low, sound does not work.   

3v3ntH0riz0n
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ya I tested it today and I still had lag, but not nearly as bad as before with the default settings for mic sensitivity.

My go around to contact my kids is google hang out.  I don't understand how that app, from a tablet, can have near time communication with video feed and good quality audio.  I suspect the free server hosting the trafic @ netgear is the primary issue.

//shutdown -h now
JustLearning
Apprentice
Apprentice
Arlo Q app has not requested access to my phone's microphone so it doesn't play any sound back or work when I try to speak through it. Sound triggered a recording once but nothing since, everything is tabbed to on. Does anyone have a solution?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

How about using the browser? Especially if that works, reinstalling the app would be recommended. I'd do it anyways.