Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Arlo Q sync button doesn't work, stuck in firmware update. Tried factory reset, etc.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
asmith4007
Aspirant
Aspirant

So I had my wife buy some security cameras for our house and saw Arlo had great reviews.  One of them had no issues with setup..  The other will not sync.  I plug it in and the amber light stays solid.  Easy enough. Next step says "Hold the sync button until the light turns solid blue." I've seen some message boards say to short press, long press, and hold it until you see a solid blue light.  Every time though, even if I just let it sit and do nothing, it switches to blinking between white, blue, and amber.  I have not found this combination in any of the manuals, but the closest thing I can find is blinking Blue/Amber indicating a firmware update.  It hasn't even been connected to the wifi yet so I'm unsure where the issue lies.  I have tried multiple troubleshooting methods.  I've unplugged it and restarted it (I'm an IT guy by trade so this is almost always my first troubleshooting step).  I've factory reset it.  I have even tried connecting it to my computer hoping that it might get it online to finish the update.  Unfortunately, the supplied USB is only for power and not data.  I'm looking through everything to try to find a power/data USB to micro USB cable, but we are still unpacking so it may take some time.  I don't think my wife saved the receipt or packaging so returning is not an option.  I also do NOT have a base station (though if it would help resolve this issue and turn this expensive paperweight back into a camera, I'd be happy to go buy one).  I have two Arlo Q's.  One works just fine, the other seems to be stuck in a loop.  If anyone has any thoughts please let me know.

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can try using the Contact Support link at the bottom here to see what they will say. However, without the receipt they won't replace it. You may need to buy yet another one and use that box and receipt to return this faulty one. The store may be able to provide you with a duplicate receipt if you ask and provide enough info (YMMV)....

asmith4007
Aspirant
Aspirant
I appreciate the input. I’ll keep working with it, but if I can’t get it online, I’ll try that.
cbooth882
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also have the same issue. Is this something that is affecting other users?

asmith4007
Aspirant
Aspirant
In all my searching I haven’t found many issues like this so I can’t be sure how widespread it is. I found a lot of issues with cameras being stuck in firmware update mode after an update, but that only seemed to be an issue with cameras that had already been setup and were connected to wifi or a base station. In most cases the fix was to reboot the base station and connect the camera to it. I’m not sure about yours, but mine has never been online and I don’t have a base station so this fix won’t work for me. I’m also none too keen on going out and spending $70+ on a base station if it won’t resolve the issue. Just adding a useless middleman won’t help me 😂
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q never uses a base so don't even go there. Have you tried using the power supply/cable from the working camera to see if it's a power issue?

asmith4007
Aspirant
Aspirant
I haven't tried that yet. I’ll give it a shot. Thank you. I also have an arlo essential with a floodlight for outside that’s been giving me issues.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@asmith4007 wrote:
I also have an arlo essential with a floodlight for outside that’s been giving me issues.

Do you mean the essential with a spotlight?  Or the pro 3 floodlight?  The floodlight is much larger than the camera (and extends beyond the main camera body); the spotlight is small and built into the camera face.

Either way, I suggest posting a new topic in the correct forum area, and tell us more about what the issues are.