Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Multiple modes on 1 Arlo Q

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Rlawler903
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can you have multiple modes for 1 camera?

I'm trying to set a camera inside my house to record when I'm away, but also record during the overnight while I'm home.
12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, you need to create a custom Mode... ADD A MODE

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-do-I-create-a-mode-for-my-Arlo-Wire-Free-ca...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
Rlawler903
Aspirant
Aspirant
That doesn't let me select or create multiple modes for one camera.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You CAN have multiple modes for one camera ... BUT, you can have ONLY ONE MODE running at a time.

The custom modes allow you to change what the cameras do as in rules  ( sense level, record time , ir, audio , etc ).

So you can have 2 different modes for the same camera and use them at different times or in the schedule

For one camera I have two modes... one Windy, one Calm

difference between the two is the sense level adjustment ( much lower on Windy days for Windy ). I then use the one or the other based on weather / wind amounts

I'm trying to set a camera inside my house to record when I'm away, but also record during the overnight while I'm home.

In you example above... you can use the Armed mode when you are away, and you can use the same Armed mode in the schedule to record during the night hours .. you really don't even need more than ARMED

Morse is faster than texting!
TrulsZK
Apprentice
Apprentice
My recommendation for mode:
Geofence and schedule.

Use Geofence mode with the following settings: Home: Schedule. Away: Armed.
In the schedule select Armed during the night e.g. Every day 22-06. And disarmed, or in my case a custom Armed - Silent mode (Record but not send any notifications) during the day 06-22.
When you leave the Geofencing will automatically switch mode to Armed and arm the camera regardless of time of day.
Adox
Tutor
Tutor

Hi guys

i just have my camera having moved from a Canary and am a little confused about Modes. 

I have my geofencing set set up and also a schedule so the camera arms at night when I’m in bed. I have the schedule selected as the mode I want to use but want the geofencing to work automatically as well so it arms and disarms as I leave and return. Will this still happen automatically even though “schedule” is my selected mode, or do you have to change it manually(which seems impractical)?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If I understand, you want to select GF as your mode. Since you already have the schedule set up, use that as Home and whatever mode you desire (Armed, Disarmed, custom mode) for Awaay. The use of GF will switch as needed by your location.

Adox
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks. I have “scheduling” selected in my mode list because I want the camera to arm from midnight to 6.30am when I’m asleep, as per my schedule. 

Id also like to have the geofencing work automatically too so the system arms and disarms as I leave and arrive but I find the menus a little confusing(I had a Canary before this which was easier understand menu wise). You can only select one mode in the menu list to be active(I have scheduling selected) so can’t select geofencing as well but am hoping that geofencing still happens automatically despite having “scheduling” as my selected mode and not “geofencing” Its unclear to me if this is the case or not. I would have thought it would be a basic feature to set an automatic schedule and have auto geofencing and not have either or. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you run through the GF setup yet?  As you step through, you can set whatever you want while away as well as for home.  Use GF as your mode and let it turn modes and/or the schedule on and off as you need.

Adox
Tutor
Tutor

Yeah I’ve run through it but just a basic “arm when I’m away” “disarm when I’m home” set up. The thing is I want my schedule to activate automatically too, as well as hav8ng geofencing and I’m a little confused as how to do it. 

If if I have geofencing set as my Mode then my schedule mode isn’t selected and won’t activate at the given time. Is there a way to incorporate the schedule in geofencing mode?

Sorry for what may be basic questions but I’m just not getting it offf the bat. 

Adox
Tutor
Tutor

Ok I think I get what you mean. So I have geofencing selected as my Mode and within it I have Away Mode set as Armed and Home Mode set as Schedule. 

This is should give me what I want I think. Will automatically arm when I’m away from the home but my schedule will still run when I’m at home. (I think!)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's the plan. I think you've got it.

Adox
Tutor
Tutor

Great. Thanks for the help.