Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Urgent: Activate Two-Step Verification
Arlo requires all users to activate two-step verification to continue to access your recordings, devices, and account.
Please enable this feature now. Learn More.

Is it ok to power Arlo Q from 12v marine battery?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am using an Arlo Q powered with the USB plugged into a 12v marine battery via cigarette lighter USB adapter. It seems to work fine (and battery lasts a very very long time). However, the Arlo power adapter is rated at 5v. I conclude by the fact that my unit is still working (not damaged by higher voltage yet) that 12v is actually within the input range of the unit itself. I am about to do this with more units. Can someone confirm that 12v is ok?

I could buy a DC 12 volt to 5 volt stepdown cable (and adapt it for hooking to battery) instead if I am risking damage.

Thanks. Rebecca

Model: VMC3040 | Arlo-Q HD with Audio

Accepted Solutions
n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually, I see that you may also be right about the USB cigarette lighter module (it must be producing standard voltage as per USB spec). However, I am also going to try the step down module so that I can avoid the low tech cigarette lighter plug (poor connection).

Thanks again for your advice. By the way, this camera is really terrific. I am using it for a different purpose than was intended (outdoor animal photography). I have been unable to find a outdoor camera that I like better. Rebecca

View solution in original post

All Replies
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Most usb cigarette adapters will put out 5v already from the plug.... converted.as it’s built into the adapter , with usb 5v is the norm.

So it’s probably not an issue 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

PS;  But I wouldn't run it direct on 12v ( if above wasn't clear )

n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am definitely running it off 12v (for 4 days continuously so far). I will search for a 12v to 5v step down cable (I see some on Amazon).

Rebecca

n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant
n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually, I see that you may also be right about the USB cigarette lighter module (it must be producing standard voltage as per USB spec). However, I am also going to try the step down module so that I can avoid the low tech cigarette lighter plug (poor connection).

Thanks again for your advice. By the way, this camera is really terrific. I am using it for a different purpose than was intended (outdoor animal photography). I have been unable to find a outdoor camera that I like better. Rebecca

View solution in original post

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q cam is unique in the Arlo group as the camera uses pixel detection over pir....

I think it a good cam and if they had more like it, it would be great.

Mind that you say outdoor photos, the Q isn’t waterproof like the other cams and was meant for indoor only... be warned

But it will work thru windows without the night vision ( which reflects )

n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks. yes I am aware that I am using indoor camera outdoors. I am searching for a replacement. I have been doing this for 6 months. I put a plastic zip-lock baggie over the camera when rain is in the forecast but they have been rained on numerous times and survived.  However, two power adapters have died.  I have tried numerous other cameras and keep preferring this one. I suspect that they will not work in extreme cold but I am going to find out what they can take. If I have some time I will post some images. I got amazing shots of wild animals. Rebecca