Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I am using an Arlo Q powered with the USB plugged into a 12v marine battery via cigarette lighter USB adapter. It seems to work fine (and battery lasts a very very long time). However, the Arlo power adapter is rated at 5v. I conclude by the fact that my unit is still working (not damaged by higher voltage yet) that 12v is actually within the input range of the unit itself. I am about to do this with more units. Can someone confirm that 12v is ok?

I could buy a DC 12 volt to 5 volt stepdown cable (and adapt it for hooking to battery) instead if I am risking damage.

Thanks. Rebecca

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually, I see that you may also be right about the USB cigarette lighter module (it must be producing standard voltage as per USB spec). However, I am also going to try the step down module so that I can avoid the low tech cigarette lighter plug (poor connection).

Thanks again for your advice. By the way, this camera is really terrific. I am using it for a different purpose than was intended (outdoor animal photography). I have been unable to find a outdoor camera that I like better. Rebecca

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Most usb cigarette adapters will put out 5v already from the plug.... converted.as it’s built into the adapter , with usb 5v is the norm.

So it’s probably not an issue 

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

PS;  But I wouldn't run it direct on 12v ( if above wasn't clear )

n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am definitely running it off 12v (for 4 days continuously so far). I will search for a 12v to 5v step down cable (I see some on Amazon).

Rebecca

n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant
n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually, I see that you may also be right about the USB cigarette lighter module (it must be producing standard voltage as per USB spec). However, I am also going to try the step down module so that I can avoid the low tech cigarette lighter plug (poor connection).

Thanks again for your advice. By the way, this camera is really terrific. I am using it for a different purpose than was intended (outdoor animal photography). I have been unable to find a outdoor camera that I like better. Rebecca

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Q cam is unique in the Arlo group as the camera uses pixel detection over pir....

I think it a good cam and if they had more like it, it would be great.

Mind that you say outdoor photos, the Q isn’t waterproof like the other cams and was meant for indoor only... be warned

But it will work thru windows without the night vision ( which reflects )

n1gzd
Aspirant
Aspirant

thanks. yes I am aware that I am using indoor camera outdoors. I am searching for a replacement. I have been doing this for 6 months. I put a plastic zip-lock baggie over the camera when rain is in the forecast but they have been rained on numerous times and survived.  However, two power adapters have died.  I have tried numerous other cameras and keep preferring this one. I suspect that they will not work in extreme cold but I am going to find out what they can take. If I have some time I will post some images. I got amazing shots of wild animals. Rebecca