Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How to turn off Arlo Q

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Nicolaisen
Tutor
Tutor

HI !! Just bought the Arlo Q and happy with it. Just one big problem. When my wife are alone at home she dont want that i have det possibility to monitor her. How do  i turn the camera off without taking the power away from til wall socket. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nicolaisen wrote:

HI !! Just bought the Arlo Q and happy with it. Just one big problem. When my wife are alone at home she dont want that i have det possibility to monitor her. How do  i turn the camera off without taking the power away from til wall socket. 

As mentioned above, you can DISARM the Q cam....but,  Basicly you can't turn it off , esp if you purchased the optional CVR which is always recording 24/7 ( other than unplugging ).

If your wife doesn't trust you not to spy... she can always 1) unplug it ,  2) put a cover over the camera ( sock, box, etc ) 3) throw it out the window.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Someone will need to use the app or browser to change the mode to Disarmed.  Either one of you can use the master account to do this or add one person as a friend with admin privileges to allow this.

If it's always the same time, you can use the schedule to automate this.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Nicolaisen wrote:

As mentioned above, you can DISARM the Q cam....but,  Basicly you can't turn it off , esp if you purchased the optional CVR which is always recording 24/7 ( other than unplugging ).

If your wife doesn't trust you not to spy... she can always 1) unplug it ,  2) put a cover over the camera ( sock, box, etc ) 3) throw it out the window.

Nicolaisen
Tutor
Tutor

However ! - i really miss the option to press a buttom to switch off. I am happy with the Arlo Q, but i dont buy more cameras until they make an easy way to secure that there is no chance for spy the person who is the home and dont want to be monitored. To cover the camera - to pull the power out of the waal sokcet - come on - we are in 2016

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's been told that the stream is encrypted and not viewable by someone hacking the connection.  As for hacking your account, strong passwords are the best defense. If you're that paranoid, don't use email notifications which contain links although someone would have to hack the mail server, your account or the Internet someplace to gain access.

Even home storage could potentially be hacked by someone who cares enough.  The only safe computer is one in a secured room with no network access.

ikanell
Star
Star

I had the same problem with my wife, especially with the camera in our bedroom.  So I found a fairly simple solution.  I bought a WeMo networked wall plug, and I plugged the bedroom camera into that.  Now I can turn the power to the camera on and off from my iPhone (through the WeMo app).  Yes, I know someone could hack the WeMo app as well as the Arlo app and turn everything on, but I think that is extremly unlikely. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This is an old thread back from March...Since then Arlo and Arlo Qs have an on-off switch in the SETTINGS.

Under each camera, it put the cameras into a sleep mode and un-excessable to viewing till turned back on.  Really good feature esp if the cam is a "shared" cam or is in a private area.

ikanell
Star
Star

Yeah, I don't think you understood my comment.  I know there is a soft ON/OFF switch in the Arlo software.  But (stay with me here) if someone is capable of hacking into your Arlo strem (which is what the original question was about), then they're certainly capable of hacking into your Arlo account and turning the cameras on.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

ikanell wrote:

Yeah, I don't think you understood my comment.  I know there is a soft ON/OFF switch in the Arlo software.  But (stay with me here) if someone is capable of hacking into your Arlo strem (which is what the original question was about), then they're certainly capable of hacking into your Arlo account and turning the cameras on.

misunderstood...

If hacked via the stream ( very difficult ) or the account ( very easy in many cases ) your SOL so to speak.

To be honest, rather than turn off the bedroom cam which is on an Arlo ceiling mount ( sitting on dresser )...I just spin it to the wall as I enter the room.

Want to look at a off-white wall be my guest.

ikanell
Star
Star

You're still not getting what I'm saying.  If you want to turn the camera around, more power to you.  But then you have to remember to turn it back around before you leave the house, otherwise you're really SOL.  And you have to make sure it's pointed in the correct angle.  And, while it's turned around facing the wall, there is still sound, so the hypothetical hacker would still be able to hear what you and your wife are saying and doing in your bedroom. No thanks. With an Internet-enabled plug, there is no sound, no moving the camera, and you can turn it on and off from wherever you are.  All that for $20.  Hey, all I was trying to do was to share with others an idea that I found to be extremely effective and convenient. If you don't like it, that's fine with me.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru
Now you misunderstood me.... I like the idea of the WEMO plug... anything to make these units better is fine with me. I've been pushing/testing most of the Arlo products to see what their limits are. I don't rely on just Arlo for my premises, I have other security systems too. But can say each one has a weak point at times.... all put together they compliment each other.
I personally, would open up the unit, put a micro switch in the Q ( like it should have had, imo ( like the older vuezones) ) so it could be just plain turned on/off.
Maybe in the end tho, I just don't worry that much about hackers maybe as you do.. ( btw, the cam in the bedroom is an Arlo without audio ). My life is basically boring, nothing really to see here 🙂
ikanell
Star
Star

TomMac, I did not misunderstand your response.  You say you "like" my idea, and yet you keep telling us how your ideas are better.  Well, you win, I agree with you: installing a microswitch is better than a WeMo plug, even though the microswitch takes A LOT more effort to install and cannot be turned on and off remotely.  This is why I almost never post in online fora: there is always some "superuser" (congrats, BTW) determined to prove her/his superiority through the passive-agressive approach of "I like yours, but mine is better". Great. Have at it. Over and out.