Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How is this possible?

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Has anyone experienced videos starting this early and such long range?

I am not complaining, in fact I find this incredible.

Arlo Q in an indoor window picking up neighbors door at around 25 feet. The scond video picks up motion at around 50 feet.

I just find it very odd that the camera is starting to record a few seconds prior to motion on the door even opening.

This has been very consistent.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/E21BF66DFE373504_201705

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/2F9EB4BEBF352DB2_201705

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

This is prefectly normal and how the Q camera works....

In reality, the Q camera is always on recording to a 5 second or so internal buffer...when it sees a trigger event, it includes the previous 5 seconds so nothing is missed

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks Tom,

Thanks interesting to know.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Actually, I don't think it's an internal buffer but is at the server end. The Q constantly streams which is how CVR works. You get a motion detection and the camera starts to record (or somehow I forms the server to create a recording) and the previous few seconds gets prepended. Unless you subscribe to CVR. Then the prepended data is NOT prepended - you must use CVR to see those seconds since the video will only start with the detected motion. Yes, I've whined to no avail.
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm not sure I understand the part about subscribing to CVR.

Can I assume that if the camera is constantly streaming it is not using any internet data until it starts recording?

I really like the way it works with little to no delay.

And having 2 of them in the windows have been very impressive for outdoor activity even comparing them to my Arlo pro.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Actually, I don't think it's an internal buffer but is at the server end. The Q constantly streams

I could be wrong, tho I don't see much data traffic from the Q all the time...  at least what it would take to be always streaming

Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'm just saying that using CVR replaces the pre-buffer. I'd prefer that the pre-buffer remained.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Tom, adding CVR allows you to see what you missed in the past up to your plan's limit. It has to be streaming to accomplish that.