Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 27 Replies
  • 12 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
GrandPop
Star
Star

Hi All,

We pay $20/month for an Arlo-Q CVR (continuous video recording) plan.

After a few hours the audio stops recording.

If you go into DEVICES and turn the Arlo-Q camera OFF/ON, it resets the camera, and the audio will record.

THEN THE AUDIO STOPS RECORDING, USUSALLY WITHIN 24 HOURS.

I have called Arlo 3 times on this problem.

They tie me up on the phone for upwards of an hour.

The last call the tech support rep. tells me.

IT IS AN ARLO SOFTWARE PROBLEM, NOT MY ARLO EQUIPMENT, AND THEY ARE TRYING TO FIX IT.

IN THE MEAN TIME I PAY $20/MO. FOR THIS GIANT COMPANY TO SNOOZE ON THIS SECURITY NIGHTMARE.

IS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE SUFFERING LIKE US????

27 REPLIES 27
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GrandPop,

I'd like to take a closer look at your support case. If you could, please provide the case number you have open with the support team and I will review your case.

JamesC

GrandPop
Star
Star

support case #28657920, beofre it was 24+ hours, now it is 6- hours, look at the CVR, turn up the volume, and you shall see. !!! A HISTORY LACKING MOST AUDIO RECORDING !!!

MountainMadness
Guide
Guide

We are also having issues with two Arlo Q's with the CVR plan.  The LIVE view stops working after 1/2 day or so and we have to restart the cameras in order for it to start working again.  I have opened a support ticket on this over a month ago and have only received generic questions ("how far from the router, try reducing the resolution, are there walls in the way, etc").  There are also other threads here about this issue with no resolution from Netgear. At one point Netgear had me unlink the cameras from the account and then LIVE view worked until I realized that CVR had to be re-enabled for those cameras.  As soon as I re-enabled CVR, the same issues with LIVE view started occuring again.

Netgear, this is obviously an issue for many of your CVR customers.  Please get it fixed!

GrandPop
Star
Star

Our live view also stops working, so that is also a problem. Of the several problems with this system (that has a great potential), the AUDIO RECORDING lack in CVR is our current largest problem

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's not just an issue for CVR users - even watching via the Android app or desktop web browser, our cameras will lose their connection easily within 30 minutes. Obviously it's not the segment of the network from our network to the edge of the Arlo mothership networks because the video is (unfortunately, by poor design) getting bounced off their servers and i am getting notification from their servers in my app or web browser that the connection has been lost - so it's either the camera (software or hardware) or the segment of their network / servers which take in video and bounce it out (or record it in the CVR case.)

At any rate, for such a widely used and heavily marketed product, the quality of everything beyond industrial design is kind of junior league :- (

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GrandPop,

This is a known issue currently under engineering investigation. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

granera05
Initiate
Initiate
I also have the same issue. I have 2 arlo q cameras and each time i try to see my timeline i get no audio and the picture gets stuck. This is terrible if something happens at my home i wont be able to look back at what was recorded
GrandPop
Star
Star

OK, we now have CRV with audio for our Arlo Q camera, for serveral days, and that is an unusual good thing, as it has historically been dropping the audio record after about 12 hours, so 3 days is GREAT!. As you all know from reading this thread we DO NOT HAVE LIVE CAMERA FOR ARLO Q, for those of you considering the ARLO system. We do have the LIVE feature for our other Arlo camera, the basic Arlo battery camera with no audio record feature. I will report back here if there are any changes. Thank you to the Arlo team if you all worked on our system to improve it closer to fully operational.

GrandPop
Star
Star

OK, so after 3+ days we still have CVR audio/video !!! YIPPEE !!!

On a sad note, we have live Audio, BUT NO LIVE VIDEO

For the most part, WE HAVE HORRIBLE QUALITY CVR VIDEO

and yes this is the Arlo-Q camera paid monthly CVR plan, 

and yes we have extremely fast internet with extremely close to camera

!!! STAY TUNED !!!

!!! THIS GIANT COMPANY MIGHT JUST GET THIS RIGHT YET !!!

GrandPop
Star
Star

OK, as an update for the Tech Crew that has been working on our system. The CVR audio stopped recording at 2:07 am 07/27/17. The LIVE video goes out soon after reseting the Arlo Q camera, The CVR Video is still horrible, NOTHING HAS CHANGED! I was told that my equipment is not defective and that the ARLO tech team was working on my problem. STILL NO IMPROVEMENT.  ??? HELLO, ARLO TECH TEAM, ARE YOU OUT THERE ???

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but when James wrote:

GrandPop,

This is a known issue currently under engineering investigation. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

There's no way he meant that Netgear had engineers looking specifically at your system, at your account; he meant that Netgear is aware that they have a problem with their system in general, related to what you're experiencing, and that they're trying to fix that aspect of their system.

Given that they don't offer anyway to see the existence nor status of any bugs they know about, there's not much more to do than to wait for James to say something else, or move off the Arlo system on to another vendor.

hacos
Tutor
Tutor

I have 2 Arlo Q cameras (in 2 separate buildings), both with CVR. As was mentioned on this thread I have the same problem in that neither reliably record Audio. In fact most of the time the audio is absent.

They are also pretty poor at tracking motion. When someone is moving about the person often freezes and there is a pixel breakdown making identification more difficult. Both are connected to high speed (>20mbps) internet.

I was expecting smooth streaming and audio (like watching a movie) when I signed up for this so I am quite disappointed with the product so far. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

hacos,

Engineering is currently investigating this issue. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

quarkdoll
Apprentice
Apprentice

Three more weeks of engineering investigation and no update?

bTaryag
Tutor
Tutor

Any news with this? I too have been having this problem since I started paying for CVR.

Before that, it just recorded when triggered by sound/motion and it worked fine.

Since I have upgared to CVR there is often no audio - both in the live view and even in the saved videos that were triggered by sound/motion.

This is very annoying.

When will this get fixed?

GrandPop
Star
Star

yes. there is news to report. We ended buying a timer on Ebay for $11.88, and setting it to cut power to the camera for 1 minute, abour 6 times a days. This seems to work fine, and the camera appears live when we check it, and cvs works also. Yes we spent $12 to fix the problem, OH WELL. Here is the timer we bought on ebay => Century 7 Day Heavy Duty Digital Electric Programmable Timer Dual Outlet Switch , you can search it by copying and pasting. Pick the USA seller, get it to your home in a few days, not to hard to program

ensanguined
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo Q rarely works properly. It just doesn't. For example for the entire day today even with the camera definitely on no CVR recorded at all. NONE! Live view works intermittently but it feels great knowing that on top of the initial expense I am paying monthly for something that literally works properly a maximum of 50% of the time. All Netgear Arlo products are farking useless.

Patk81
Tutor
Tutor
The latest Android app update mentions bug fixes for cvr. Can anyone confirm that the problems have been ironed out?
Liz_yates
Guide
Guide
As of today 11/30/2017 i am still having this problem. I even contacted centurylink and dropped $75 and $10 a month to get a static i.p. so the signal doesn't bounce... helped a tad bit but still audio intermittent, and glitchy frame refresh. I have 4 cameras two locations with 15mb upload speed. Not impressed, and starting a ticket today, also buying timer switches.
hkra
Initiate
Initiate

I have been having the same issue. I need to upgrade my system to include more cameras, and was about to do so. After researching the issues I have been experiencing with my Arlo Q and Arlo Pro, I see that I am not the only one. When I go to my Library, more time than not, when I hit play on a video recording the picture gets frozen for long periods of time. If that is not happening, than the sound is not working on the playback. But one of those two items is happening constantly. I recently moved as well as recently upgraded my router and modem. So now I know its not my home internet connection and an issue with ARLO servers.  I was out of town this past weekend and we had someone cause some damage to the house. Our ARLO cameras should have picked up the activitiy but did not due to these issues. We will not be buying any new ARLO devices as it appears they have yet to find a resolution to this issue.

jamesglewisf
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm having the same issues with my 2 Arlo Q Plus cameras that I just bought and installed last week. I have the CVR plan for both. I had to lower the resolution to 720 from 1080 just to get them to record video without skipping. I can hear audio when they are live, but not on armed recordings or on the timeline. I also have 8 Arlo Pro 2 cameras. They record audio correctly.

I'm a little disappointed in the Arlo Q Plus cameras also because they don't do motion detection nearly as well as the Arlo Pro 2 cameras. My Q Plus cameras are on POE, and they record worse than cameras that are on wifi. That is very disappointing. I wish you could use POE with the Pro 2 cameras. I would ditch the Q Plus cameras altogether.

Farnetti
Aspirant
Aspirant

Seriously folks....l had the same problems as all of you are mentioning with audio and video or weird artifacts around movement. 100% of these issues were fixed with a simple outlet timer off Amazon that cut power to the camera twice a day. 3am and 3pm, the cameras lose power for 1 minute. When power is restored, they come back online and all works. I did this a year ago and everything is still working perfect recording at 1080p with sound. They were six bucks per camera and security risk is fairly minimal. For me, the 12 hours hit the mark with reset need. 

MountainMadness
Guide
Guide

This thread is outdated at this point.  Netgear made some changes server-side as well as released new firmware.  We have not had to restart our cameras in months and the streaming performance has been relatively glitch-free.

ensanguined
Apprentice
Apprentice

Farnetti you nuffie, you come and necro an old thread and you're the one acting condescending?! What the...! And anyhow, I have a timer switching my Arlo off every 6 hours and still sometimes have issues with corrupted CVR video and Live View not working. So yeah, relax a little mate?