Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Have to LOG-IN because "my session has ended"

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
AshleyLord
Aspirant
Aspirant

Every so often I check-in live when away from home but recently I was informed that my session had ended and I was required to log-in. It would not permit this over 4G but only WiFi. I tried a local cafe(my security software scanned it and declared it safe) but still no success. It only worked when I eventually got to my own WiFi. As soon as I entered the phone in my pocket bleeped - at least the camera was still "active" even if I could'nt access it live. QUESTION : What constitutes a "session" - how can I know when one is about to expire so that I can log-in in advance if this is even possible. There was no mention in any literature on purchase of "sessions" only of the fact that recordings were available for seven days.

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Your login via app or browser will timeout after a period of inactivity. I suspect that's what you're seeing. However, you should be able to log in from anyplace that has Internet access, whether WiFi or cell service, unless the network is set up to not allow access to some sites or use certain ports for some reason. I'd try restarting the phone to see if that helps.

AshleyLord
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for reply. Does the "inactivity" you mention refer to the absence of motion (= burglars) or does it refer to me not checking the "live view" every so often? If it's the first then I fear the set-up won't fulfill my needs as it would seem that it "needs" motion to keep itself active!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No activity means you having done anything in the interface, whether using live view, checking modes or settings, or whatever. Doing anything resets the counter.

AshleyLord
Aspirant
Aspirant

Many thanks - but still curious as to the length of the inactive period that triggers the need to log-in.

Would it be say 12 hours 1day 3days etc?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

First, there may be 2 things at play here. The app/browser login will timeout at something like 10-15 minutes of no user interaction. However, there's a random (for me, anyways) pop-up of a session ended message that's different and infrequent. What cases that and under what conditions is unknown to me. I just have to log in manually when it happens. Since I can't force it to happen, and it seems to affect only older devices for me, I cn't troubleshoot it.

Which of these scenarios are you referring to? Maybe I've been talking about the wrong one.

AshleyLord
Aspirant
Aspirant

It seems to be the second as my "inactivity" time is more of the 4 - 5hours variety certainly greatly in excess of 15-30mins. On average once or twice in the day. It's not so much the fact of having to log-in occasionally but not being able to do so away from my own wi-fi that to a large degree negates the initial purpose of the set-up.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Ok, now I got it. I don't know what kicks that off. I get it on various devices (I have 3 mobile devices) but only very irregularly. It can be days/months between the message occurances.