Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
redsoxfan44
Apprentice
Apprentice

I just read a CNET article about end-of-life for various Arlo products.   Q's target date is 1/1/2024 

Cnet Article 

I'm not pleased.  I bought my Q in October 2019.  That's not old as far as I'm concerned.  I have tech MUCH older.    It works fine. Simple, gets the job done.  Reliable (well, usually...)

grrrrrrrr........

7 REPLIES 7
KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

If it's just 'support' then that's maybe OK as I've never used support anyway.

As long as they don't just pull the plug on our connections as my Q's are performing the job OK even if I do have to manually arm/disarm them fairly frequently.

Due to the flaky Geofencing I'd have to think twice about replacing my Q's to Indoor Essentials, no plan.

If I have to manually arm/disarm then there are far cheaper solutions that don't expire after 4 years.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@KremmenUK wrote:

If it's just 'support' then that's maybe OK as I've never used support anyway.

No, it's not just support.  See this for more details:

redsoxfan44
Apprentice
Apprentice

it's the 7 day free cloud storage that is the killer.    This was probably the long plan when Netgear bought Arlo.  

I only have 1 camera and the 2.99/mo price is not terrible, but I know it is only a beginning price.   IT will increase regularly for sure!   And nothing wrong with the hardware I have so that's another $100 to shell out to upgrade device.  Not for me.  

Local storage is the way to go.     Q's have no option to add storage capability. 

https://www.androidcentral.com/best-security-cameras-store-locally-not-cloud 

KremmenUK
Luminary
Luminary

All I require is to be able to see inside my house and get motion alerts.

If either of them go then I will move elsewhere as there are quite a few other quality solutions now.

Given that Smartthings geofencing has been 100% reliable in well over a year I'll be looking for a ST compatible system.

I stuck with Arlo because of Geofencing but given that is flaky and I'm now frequently having to manually set Home/Away there are plenty of other cameras that now fall into the frame.

AJ007
Initiate
Initiate

It is NOT just support. Read the email:

The EOL of the Generation 3 (VMC3030) and Pro (VMC4030) cameras means that certain features of, and support for, these cameras will become unavailable, including 7-day cloud storage, firmware updates, and email notifications

Cloud storage, firmware up dates, etc, etc.

Plasmadevil
Tutor
Tutor

It is unbelievable as I have a couple of arlo qs and just got one from a local retail store.. They will not just take all online features of all devices but also they've shielded themselves against any class action lawsuit in that "New eol" agreement. 

So, this definitely creates strong brand trust. Can't wait with what else they will come up with next..

therelybare
Initiate
Initiate

Is it too much to hope that all of Arlo’s existing customers stop being customers? I bragged to my family about how great Arlo was and bought them cameras for Christmas’ past and now their cameras are about to be junk.