Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Connection to 5G

Discussion stats
  • 13 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Tonyhui
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have Arlo Baby cam and Arlo Q, both got problem in connection to my 5G network, only can be detected if i switch to 2.4G network, how can I fix it? Or even can I manually setup the connection myself? It’s too slow for connection under 2.4G, anyone can help??
13 REPLIES 13
brh
Master
Master

They should connect. Many people are having the problem with the router's SSID having non alphanumeric characters in it. Also be sure to use WAP.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Tonyhui wrote:
I have Arlo Baby cam and Arlo Q, both got problem in connection to my 5G network, only can be detected if i switch to 2.4G network, how can I fix it? Or even can I manually setup the connection myself? It’s too slow for connection under 2.4G, anyone can help??

Both of those Arlo cameras can be linked to either band...

One thing of note is the 5 ghz band will have less range than the 2.4 band and the device will auto hook to the better signal.

The only possible way to force the cameras to the 5ghz band would prob be if you had the option to turn off the 2.4ghz side of your router

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That should be WPA2.

brh
Master
Master

@jguerdat

Thanks for correcting me. I'll edit my post.

Brian

brh
Master
Master

Looks like I can't go back and correct that now.

Brian

Tonyhui
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks all, but I have tried couple of time but still doesn’t work, the cam only be detect if under 2.4g. Are there any manual way to setup the connection?
brh
Master
Master

@Tonyhui

You might have to do some research on your router on how to do this.

When I bought my Netgear Wifi extender it came with very good instructions. I had to create another connection to my wifi and name it something different and then select 5G. By choosing which band I wanted to use, I simply logged into the other connection on my smartphone. If I remember correctly, I was able to use the same SSID for both connections, but the names had to be different.

Brian

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried a reset on one of the cameras ?

Morse is faster than texting!
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Tonyhui wrote:

How do you mean too slow? I have an Arlo Baby connected to 2.4GHz and it's set for 1080p and works just fine. The reason it's on the 2.4 is because it's quite far away from the router. As above, 5GHz has a shorter range than 2.4

Tonyhui
Aspirant
Aspirant
I prefer to use 5G as it’s got 50Mbps in upload while 2.4G only got 5Mbps, it makes the streaming or video not very clear sometimes when connection is poor. But the problem still can’t be fix, just the device cannot find my 5G network.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've switched mine back and forth between 2.4 and 5Ghz at will. What 5GHz channel are you using? I've found that using the lower channels (double digit ones) generally works better. Lowering the speed of the upper channels is sometimes needed.

Tonyhui
Aspirant
Aspirant
I set every auto, like channel, also the transmission 20/40/80 GHz. Just don’t know what’s the problem as I already using a very strong router ASUS 88U. Not sure if it is my router issue, just don’t want to spend to buy another one still fail.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't think it's your router. Did you try a low channel, such as 44, for the 5GHz band on the router or lower the max speed for that band?