Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can VMC3040 work on the Xfinitywifi network

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
timberweasel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bought this understanding that it needs to connect to one's WIFI network.  My WIFI network is Xfinitywifi.  I have no router in the house.  

In the setup process, (I've tried with both my iPhone and Mac) I get the chime after the camera reads thee QR code and then my device can't be discovered. 

The APP asks if I want to try again or try a Factory Reset.  I 've tried both several times. 

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What security is your WiFi using?  It must be WPA2 to allow the connection. Also, make sure your SSID and passphrase don't include special characters, at least until a firmware update has been installed (old firmware may have issues).

timberweasel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your response. 

So, in theory, I should be able to use my Arlo Q with the neighborhood Xfinitywifi network?

I bought a Belkin Wemo product at the same time, and it also did not work.  Their support said that  the neighborhood Xfinitywifi network is considered a 'hotspot' and that I do need to have my own router in order to use their device.   (Even though the packaging on the device says: 'Only needs wifi.'

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Well, that could be an issue. I don't have Xfinity-anything so can't comment on setup. It seems like there may be a setting in the hotspot that needs to be changed but you'd have to discuss that with your ISP.
timberweasel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just spoke to Netgear.  At first they said I was too far from the router, said I needed to be within 3 feet.  When I reminded them that I don't have a router and that Belkin said I needed one for their product, they then said that Xfinity probably has some type of block up to only allow phones, tablets and computers access to their network and that they recommended that I get a router. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'm not convinced a router would help if you don't also get rid of the block. It would be a router connected to something that still has a block in place. Call the ISP.