Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera sometimes flashes and then goes dark. Flash is due to cat walking past it.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
jwwjcw
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are having issues with our camera.  Based upon what I have read on the community forum (this site) I see a variety of posts but no common solution...  Our camera sometimes "flashes" then goes dark.  Sometimes this flash is due to the cat walking in front of the camera and sometimes it appears it is due to changes in the lighting in the room.  I've read on this forum that there is a day mode and a night mode for video but don't see any settings to force one or the other and no way to remotely control this setting.  We use this camera for monitoring my 98 year old mother in law and this has become an issue for us...  Do you have any solution?  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Post a link to a video demonstrating this. The can be a flash at the very beginning due to the autoexposure mechanism reacting to the available light. As for night mode, the only setting is for the IR LEDs that allow recording in dark environments. The camera's autoexposure determines when to switch between color (daytime) and B&W (night). You can't change this nor would you want to since remaining in color would mean that you would have useless dark videos. This switching could cause "flashes" if the light is right at the threshold where the camera wants to stay in color vs. use B&W.

jwwjcw
Aspirant
Aspirant
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You answered too quick!  🙂 The link has expired - if you want to post it (or another) again I'll check back later today.