Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlodog6578
Star
Star
  1.  Today I’ve noticed when I go to my Arlo Q library the clips show at the right length. 20 seconds, 15 seconds they show the right length in the library. When I open up the Clips to view the clip it says that the clip is one hour and 46 minutes long. When you play back the clip it only has the correct amount of time 20 or whatever length and may be in the library view. After the action finishe the image freezes and the video keeps playing.  This has started today and it happens with every single clip.  The cameras also failed to pick up some events today. Not sure if that’s related or not. Is anyone else having an issue?  I’ve got the latest iOS update.
267 REPLIES 267
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Pretty sure it's not the firmware since it happens differently and not everyone is having a problem. I suspect it's server-side.

NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is the "video" (i.e. The finished video file itself) not "created" or rendered locally on the camera itself and uploaded to the server? In which case it's the actual Arlo Q device that has the error (be it by new recently updated firmware or just a device error).

Or is the video created by the server? In which case as you say it's a server rendering problem which creates a corrupt video file.

I don't keep tabs on the firmware my cameras are running with and as the cameras automatically update themselves to new firmware when its available there is no control from the user, so not sure if there has been a recent update which has caused this or as you say probably a server error. I just presumed the actual Arlo Q camera created the video and uploaded it, rather than the server creating it, I just presumed the server stored the videos once they had been uploaded.
VenusEnvy
Tutor
Tutor
The issue resolved itself in its own today. Thanks Netgear!
ArloJesse
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am also having problems with my Arlo Q cameras set up to record for 2 minutes but they are showing 5 hours and  10 seconds of recording.  Also, when I click on footage to review, it won't go on. Looks like I will need to call Customer Service tomorrow.

hobgoblin2001
Guide
Guide
Same issue here - set to record 45 Sec but 5 hr + timeline and out of sync playback. Deleted app (on 5SE) and reloaded - seems to have fixed problem. My guess is server as also affected Arlo wireless recordings.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@NetBox wrote:
Is the "video" (i.e. The finished video file itself) not "created" or rendered locally on the camera itself and uploaded to the server? In which case it's the actual Arlo Q device that has the error (be it by new recently updated firmware or just a device error).

Or is the video created by the server? In which case as you say it's a server rendering problem which creates a corrupt video file.

AFAIK, the camera simply streams to the server. The server apparently is the "creator" of the file we see. There's no buffering in the camera (or base, in the case of the wireless cameras). It's just a stream. Why that would cause the server to create a timeline that's obviously wrong is unknown. As I posted in another thread, I only see the issue on a web browser.  Just checked and it's only on Chrome - Firefox displays the correct time as does the app. Others have said it happens on both app and browser. YMMV.

I don't keep tabs on the firmware my cameras are running with and as the cameras automatically update themselves to new firmware when its available there is no control from the user, so not sure if there has been a recent update which has caused this or as you say probably a server error. I just presumed the actual Arlo Q camera created the video and uploaded it, rather than the server creating it, I just presumed the server stored the videos once they had been uploaded.

The last Q firmware update was January 5, IIRC, so the chance of the firmware causing the issue is small although possibly related to whatever is going on in the servers.

VenusEnvy
Tutor
Tutor
It stopped doing this on one of my cameras this weekend, but noticed today it is still occurring on the other.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've escalated this topic to engineering for further investigation. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

hobgoblin2001
Guide
Guide
Yup - I’m afraid the issue has returned this afternoon (UK.)
Also note that video progress marker doesn’t move - presumably because it believes scale is hours not secs.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When I see the issue, the video doesn't automatically start. I have to drag the dot to get it moving. I then see the elapsed and remaining time counts chage appropriately until the actual end of the video.

Liz_yates
Guide
Guide
HA it was broke! Check out the comments on the cvr, we've been talking about the issues for months now. The purchased cvr glitches out so bad it's useless, you have to buy timers for your plug ins and reset the physical arlo Q every 4 hours. And even that isn't perfect.

Before the timers you couldn't even watch the recording, no sound, total freeze frame, glitchy, blurry, etc....

Now with my timers it helped alot, but when i needed to actually use my cvr to review valentines day, i found 2 of my cameras decided to stop recording from 2/13-2/19... then just come back on (useless now i can't review what i needed to)

So they were trying to fix what was broke, and made it worse instead. Now you guys without the purchased cvr are feeling our pain.

Here is the thread, and honestly that's a pretty awful sneaky business move to keep their number out of sight.... pretty shady.

My advice, please make a work order so their is a formal trail for the techs to follow, to show them how wide spread this problem is. Return them if you can.... or wait for a fix.

Here is the other thread

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q/ARLO-Q-CVR-problems-no-sounds-and-or-video-lag/m-p/1514947#M...
Dan86
Star
Star
I know things like this happen at times but for a company as big as netgear its going on for too long.

You would assume with all their so called tech experts and money, that they would have found the problem and fixed it by now.

They need to resolve this within the next couple of days.
SL_Consulting
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same issue as discussed in this thread. I have 2 Q cameras. One started displaying 1:50:25 lengths on 20 sec clips - problem started around 24/Feb/3:23PM (PST). The other started displaying 4:32:44 on 20 sec clips starting on or around 25/Feb/2018 at 11:25 PM (PST).

Depending on the device playing back the clips, it continues "playing" the clip with no change in the image after the actual 20 sec recoding until it ends (say 4 hours later) (iPhone 7 app) or it stops after the 20 sec but stil displays the length as 4hr+ (PC running Chrome).

Firmware: 1.8.3.2_17494

Hardware: WMC3040r6

Could this bug be related to the "Home Kit" update?

Thank you in advance for looking into this and providing a solution.

MSLTX
Guide
Guide

The issue seems to be resolved on the web site. It's showing the correct recording length for my Arlo Qs.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Mine cleared up around 2:00 PM EST yesterday.

Dan86
Star
Star
Jguerdat, are you from the uk or us?

Also did you reset your camera or do anything to your settings before it started working for you?

Just curious because im from the uk and nothings changed for me. Its still glitching.
NetBox
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Dan,

I'm in the UK and mine seems to be working fine again now. Hopefully it will stay that way but it is certainly ok at the moment.

I didn't do anything, it just was back working again today (not sure what time).

Nothing has changed with the FW either, its still the same.

Hopefully yours will be sorted soon and stay that way too.

Hope that helps.
Dan86
Star
Star
Thanks for letting me know. Just checked mine and they're still getting errors in the clips. I have a arlo q and arlo q plus and both are having the same time display issue.

These are good cameras, the only issue's i have with them are zooming in which gets too pixelated and also sometimes the clips will end even though motion hasnt stopped in front of the cam.

Might purchase a 4k nest cam in the future as a backup for situations like this and for the zooming in issue.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm in the US and the long recording time displays have disappeared as of yesterday.

As for a 4k camera, just be aware that if your issues are in any way related to the network someplace, they may well get worse given the additional bandwidth required.

Dan86
Star
Star
You may be right, but they are different companies, so even if I did get issues with the nest cam. It would be unlikely to happen the same time as a Arlo cam having issues.

It's more of a backup in case the Arlo has issues and vice-versa, but I'll wait a while until the prices drop a little.
GoBucks
Tutor
Tutor
The video clip length is fixed....but there is no sound.....same thing happened when they tried to fix it the other day....so not completely fixed yet for me.
GoBucks
Tutor
Tutor
Restarted my cam and the clips have sound again! Hopefully it stays fixed. Yeah!
SL_Consulting
Aspirant
Aspirant

The video clip length is fixed....but there is no sound...

@tutor said this issue was fixed when he restarted the cameras. Will try that tonight.

(I'm in California, USA).

MSLTX
Guide
Guide

Well the fix didn't last long. Online view of a 20 second recording is showing as 40+ minutes.

Mack1359
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank God I'm not the only one that is now having this problem.

ALL my 2 minute recorded security clips show a lenght of 19:20.

I spent ages trying to fix it before looking here to see if anyone else had the problem.

Hopefully Netgear can fix this ASAP as it makes it impossible to scrub through a clip to look at the footage.