Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras|NETGEAR
Guide

Arlo app draining Galaxy S10+ battery way more than usual

Samsung Galaxy S10+ (T-Mobile) android application issue. The application drains battery way more than it should. Looking at battery usage it is showing Arlo as active the entire time not running in the background. I only had the app open for all of 5 minutes but it showed Arlo active for 10 hours with 12% battery usage. It wasn't t even open in task manager so the application is just glitched. For now I'm forcing the application to go to sleep any time it's not open to prevent this. This negatively effects the Geofencing option for my Arlo though as I manually have to open the app to get it to see I'm not home.

Model: VMC3040 | Arlo-Q HD with Audio
Message 1 of 24
Guru

Re: Arlo app draining Galaxy S10+ battery way more than usual

Have you rebooted the phone and reinstalled the app? I don't have your phone but I'm not seeing any drain on multiple devices.

Message 2 of 24
Guide

I will give it a shot a report back with some additional testing. My thoughts are it's an Android specific issue as my wife as an iPhone 8+ and doesn't see any battery drain issues.

Message 3 of 24
Guru

Mine are all Android - no iOS in the house. No battery drain here on 4 devices running a variety of Android versions from 8 to 9 with one on LineageOS. The Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 is the closest to your phone yet doesn't have the problem.

Message 4 of 24
Guide

If you look at your battery usage, does it show Arlo running as active or background? Like I mentioned originally, it showed it only have 2 background minutes but over 8 hours of active like I had it open the entire time..
Message 5 of 24
Guru

Arlo is 8 minutes, 2% on my Samsung tablet.

Message 6 of 24
Guide

Must be a problem with the Android 9 version. Reinstalled and restarted my phone and tested today. I only opened the Arlo app twice, used it for all of two minutes and it's used more battery than anything else today by far. See attached screenshot.
Message 7 of 24
Guru

I've got 3 phones on 9 - Pixel 2, Pixel 3 XL and an old Nexus 6 on LineageOS 16 (Android 9). None have the problem.

Message 8 of 24
Guide

Must be specific to the Galaxy S10 then. I'll wait for an updated app and try again but right now the battery usage is ridiculous. And the fact that it runs active in the background, you know it's a problem app.
Message 9 of 24
Guru

Open a case with support to help provide details to engineering:

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

It might also be worth a reset of your phone since I don't think anyone else has reported this, although the number of S10s with Arlo is likely small.

Message 10 of 24
Initiate

Hello,

I can report I have the same exact problem. Battery usage is ridiculous and shows app is active all the time and 0 minutes in background.

I am using a galaxy s10+. Was using a pixel 3 with no issues at all.

This must be specific to the s10.

Please fix this Arlo. I am switching the app off until fixed.

Thank you
Message 11 of 24
Guru

Did you open a case to raise awareness? Complaining here only goes so far.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

Message 12 of 24
Guide

I'm not seeing an option to open a trouble ticket online. You can only live chat or call them. Those are inconvenient for people who just want to supply the details and let them work it. Even after multiple restarts, application removal, reinstall, system updates, the app is still trash. Why in the hell does it need to run ACTIVE all the time and drain battery like I'm sitting there watching it all day? This is one of the biggest flagship phones of 2019 running Android 9.0. No excuse for such application.

Message 13 of 24
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Nathanial,

Let me help create a case for you. I'll reach out to you via private message to gather some information from you.

Message 14 of 24
Guide

For situational awareness, I was able to open a case last night #40821247. Thanks for the assist though. After doing some additional testing, I'm almost postive the issue is tied to Geofencing. 

Message 15 of 24
Tutor

Exact same issue here, on Samsung Galaxy Note 9. Arlo shows hours of active use on my phone draining the battery. I have geofencing enabled. Any hope for a fix?
Message 16 of 24
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Tlagalt,

Try to reinstall the app and restart your phone to see if that resolves the issue for you.

Message 17 of 24
Highlighted
Tutor

I tried uninstalling, reinstalling, rebooting. At first I did not enable geofencing and Arlo didn't show as active and running using battery even though I used the app a bit. A few hours later I enabled geofencing and since then Arlo has been consuming a higher and higher percentage of my device's battery and showing as active for hours even while the app hasn't been opened. It appears Arlo can't manage geofencing without consuming a significant amount of device battery.
Message 18 of 24
Tutor

Other screenshot of battery usage.
Message 19 of 24
Guide

That is my observation as well. It's tied to Geofencing. While waiting for a fix it's manually arming and disarming.
Message 20 of 24
Initiate

Seeing the same thing on a Google Pixel 3 XL with geofencing. Heavy battery drain due to Arlo app.

Message 21 of 24
Arlo Moderator

The development team is working on an app release that addresses several Geofencing issues being reported by users. We hope to have that app update available soon. I'll post an update in this thread when I have more information on this release.

Message 22 of 24
Guide

The support team told me they came out with a new version of the application. However, the issue still remains unchanged. Geofencing still burns mad battery and Arlo shows as running 'active' all the time. I will continue to have to arm and disarm manually. Fix the Android application already Arlo!
Message 23 of 24
Initiate

Same thing here. New update and problem persists. Arlo is the #1 battery drainer in my phone.

I am seriously contemplating switching to NEST cameras. Seems a much serious alternative....
Message 24 of 24