Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
jldash
Follower
Follower

Installed my new Arlo Q on the inside of my house looking thru the window to the outside.  Works great in day time, however at night, the camera sees itself in the window (dark acts as a mirror).  Any suggestions how to overcome the reflection?  Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Schorschi
Prodigy
Prodigy

Put a thick curtain behind it and/or make sure night vision is deactivated. The IR light from the camera will reflect in the window when turned on.

Btw, there are dedicated subforums for the Arlo Q. This one is for the wirefree cameras.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've turned off night vision which absolutley blinds the camera.  As well, I notched and placed a box over mine.  I still get a reflection off the outermost pane of glass (older storm window style window) but it's in a place that doesn't affect the area of interest.  A sheet of paper over the rest of the pane would help but is more obvious.

Boat52
Apprentice
Apprentice

I tried the same thing that you did. During the day it is perfect. At night it's a no go. And of course, the motion sensing will not work through the glass. You did not say what type of windoes you have. Some windows are insulated glass with infrared blocking. In South Florida, hurricane impact windows have a plastic layer between the two glass panels like an auto windshield. The plastic blocks the IR. Maybe there will be a future Arlo Q designed for outdoors and powered by 110/115 AC power. Saftey issues with line voltage will be an issue for Netgear to overcome.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Since the motion detection for Q is not IR-based, it works fine through glass.  I certainly haven't tried it on all possible glass coating scenarios but the detection is pixel-based so detection should work as long as it can see enough to be able to detect changes in the view it shouldn't be a problem. I'd guess it won't work in very dark situations unless lights come on, unlike the IR-based wireless cameras which don't need light (but they won't work through windows of pretty much any sort).  Thus, Q should work through virtually any window as long as there's enough light for the scene.

The current Q cameras aren't line voltage - they're USB 5VDC.  I'd think the main issue with them being indoor cameras is lack of weather sealing.  Could be interesting to put them in a sealed clear plastic box although you'd still need to disable night vision.

Boat52
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thx for the correction on the power for the Arlo Q. Should have realized it immediately....duh! I live in South Florida and have Miami-Dade rated impact windows. I stood outside in front of the Arlo Q and it never set off the motion detection. I think the thick glass and plastic inner liner affect its ability to sense. I thought about linking it to record from another Arlo, but can't fingure out how to do it. Any suggestions?

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:
snip

The current Q cameras aren't line voltage - they're USB 5VDC.  I'd think the main issue with them being indoor cameras is lack of weather sealing.  Could be interesting to put them in a sealed clear plastic box although you'd still need to disable night vision.

I'll let you know once I get the ac outlet in my outdoor light housing. ( getting snow tonight so prob not till next week )

My plan is to use clear silcone to water proof the usb plug ( and hold in place better ) and the seams on camera after spraying a flat black. Haven't decided on speaker holes yet, may just tape over before spraying to seal. Front will remain same so all is functional.

It will sit in a sheltered vestibule so it'll be out of rain.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Boat52 wrote:

Thx for the correction on the power for the Arlo Q. Should have realized it immediately....duh! I live in South Florida and have Miami-Dade rated impact windows. I stood outside in front of the Arlo Q and it never set off the motion detection. I think the thick glass and plastic inner liner affect its ability to sense. I thought about linking it to record from another Arlo, but can't fingure out how to do it. Any suggestions?

Right now, each base station or Q camera (which is effectively its own base station) is handled separately. I have a suggestion it the suggestions forum that you can add kudos to for allowing at least the Q to be able to integrate with the wireless cameras. More kudos hopefully brings a solution.

As for not detecting through your windows, I wonder if you're getting reflections, similar to night vision. If that's the case, maybe some blocking around the camera would help but it'd be all trial and error.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

jguerdat wrote:snip

As for not detecting through your windows, I wonder if you're getting reflections, similar to night vision. If that's the case, maybe some blocking around the camera would help but it'd be all trial and error.

I currently have the Q cam operating thru double pane glass ( anderson windows )...  But no UV plastic screen.

It is place right against the glass, no gap... found it worked better that way and it detects motion just fine.

Morse is faster than texting!
Boat52
Apprentice
Apprentice

After reading the replies I tried it again and made it was as tight to my laminated glass as possible. Not only did it work, but it had great range at motion sensing. And amazing little camera. Thanks guys for all your help. Wish I could find an outdoor source of IF that is not heat producing and runs on 110 volts. I could then light up the area and be all set.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Should have mentioned that mine is right up to the glass, too.  Good catch.

There's lots of IR spotlights available on Amazon.  You should be able to find something to fit the bill for you.  Just be sure to get an 850nM version since that's what Arlo uses.