Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q talking issues

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
ericwubbels
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I purchased my Arlo Q yesterday. Everything is working fine except talking through the camera. I tried it on a Windows PC with the latest version of Chrome, on a Samsung Galaxy S8 and on an iPhone S7. I can hear what's going on in the living room but when I push the microphone button to talk it wants to make a connection but the green(ish) button doesn't get activated. It keeps on trying to make a connection. The app has access to the microphone.

I browsed trhough the community but didn't find the right answer. I bought this just because of this feature. Can someone help me please?

kind regards,

Eric (from the Netherlands)

9 REPLIES 9
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Is the camera speaker toggled to on in the camera settings?

ericwubbels
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply Steve. Yes, the camera speaker is on. But it is and it was but it doesn't seem to work at all.arlo.JPG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the mic enabled in permissions on the various devices?

HunkaBurninLove
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you have the latest firmware installed?

I was also unable to utilize the microphone, but had an older firmware. When I updated the firmware, I was able to talk.

consensus2
Guide
Guide

Same problem here. Push-to-talk does not work. The camera is brand new, bought it today. I understand the issue is resolved with a FW update. However, my camera refuses to update. It is stuck with FW v.1.7.4_5517, which is from May 4, 2016 (!)

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What have you tried? Fist step is to remove the camera from Settings, My Devices, press the reset button until the LED flashes amber and resync. That should bring the firmware update.

HunkaBurninLove
Aspirant
Aspirant
Had the same issues as you did regarding the firmware wouldn't update on my Q. Try searching the forums for my thread. I removed the device from my Arlo app, factory reset the device, tried to re-add (which never worked), tried letting the camera to an auto update, etc. Finally, had to RMA the camera because it was a "hardware" issue (I could've told tech support that). Just exchange the camera and save yourself the time and headache.
consensus2
Guide
Guide

It sounds exactly the same. I have gone through various attempts to upgrade its FW, some +20 times by now. This includes successful factory resets (paper clip, +10 seconds until a relay cycles, amber led flashing again, etc). No success.

I could imagine that an issue with the Netgear server, where the FW sits, could cause problems. The rest of my system, Arlo Pro, upgraded fine though.

As said, I’ll just give the Arlo Q back with a big note so that it doesn’t end up on the  store shelf again.

ericwubbels
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for all the replies. I know what to do now. I will return the Arlo Q just as Consensus did :). This thing just doesn't work.

Cheers Eric