Arlo Q motion detection not working as expected

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
B0r
Follower
Follower

Hello. I purchased 2 Arlo Q's after someone climbed through my window while we were home and stole a bunch of electronics in the middle of the night. So, I set up the Arlo Q (6 1/2 feet above the floor, about 10 feet or less from the window directly in front of it.) and basically I pretended to break in my house. I set a zone across the entire area of my window, set the sensitivity to 9 to get a baseline and the camera was never triggered. Yes, motion is on, yes, it's setup correctly and yes, I hard reset it and started over.

You can see me clear as day, step in front of the window (should've gone off in my opinion but doesn't.) move the screen to the side, still nothing. Reach my hand in and wave it around, nothing. Even the long blinds are moving back and forth like dominos, nothing. But as soon as I walk into the house and stand in the zone, alert, motion. Yes, it's "working", but I need to know as the person has their arms in my house, not when they have already been inside for 10 seconds due to delay. I'm about to get a NestCam to see if it's any more sensitive. I just can't understand how an arm flailing around doesn't trigger an alert. That's unacceptable. The zones and everything were set on night vision (because that's when I'm going to get robbed. Were home and downstairs in the daytime.) latest firmware on both. Any ideas? Should the camera be at an angle to the window instead of pointing right at it? I'm tired of trying for the evening. Everything else about the cams are absolutely stellar. Motion detection is a deal breaker if not working properly.

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Can't say why the Q isn't working for you..

But,  a simple test to see if that Q is possibly defective is to swap it with the other Q in the same location and restest.

The Pixel detect trigger I find very accurate and sensitive even thru a double pane Andersen window.

Other idea is try it without the zones set, as maybe the zones are off.

If you swap the cameras and the problem is gone, contact Netgear.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

B0r,

It sounds like positioning could be causing an issue with the motion detection. Relocating the camera, possibly at an angle like you suggested above may help. Were you able to test the camera in a different location to see if you get better results?

Also, as TomMac suggested, do you see different results when not using zones?

Please let us know,

JamesC