Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q is not discovered

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
MsCat2000
Follower
Follower

I have two Arlo Q cameras one connected and the other will not connect.  I have read all of the articles and have not found an answer for my problem.  I have reset the camera, hear the click.  I have deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone and on my PC.  I push the sync, the blue light flashes, I hear the chime when I hold it to the QR reader but it is taking too long to discover and the camera shuts off.  

I have tired this 20 times with my IPhone and with my PC, neither will discover this camera. I can not add this device. It is new and has never been installed.  I am so unhappy with this system.  Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
OldGold22
Initiate
Initiate

This would have to be the crappiest product i have ever encounterd. I have set up my Q on my wifi (with underscores in the name) and it worked first time (fant_f'ing tastic) but due to a stuff up with my ISP I've had to reset my wifi and set up everything again.

The "dont't use special characters in the ssid name is a red herring" becasue it worked first time so I don't believe that is the problem. My Q will not connect despite going through all the reset bull**bleep** (i have done this about 20 times). I can see the Q on my router I even have it's ip address and mac address so it has connected to the network but the crappy application will not discover it. That is where the problem is.

I have had this problem now in 3 house moves and would not recommend this product to anyone. I am an IT professional that works with network infrastructure and pity any poor soul without computer experience that buys this and tries to set it up however i am prepared to play the silly "reset it and it will work" game.

If anyone has some solid suggestions about how to make this work then I am happy to take them on-board and post my results but at the moment I am planning to bin the Q and go with something that actually works.

Over to the community.......

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@MsCat2000 wrote:

I have two Arlo Q cameras one connected and the other will not connect.  I have read all of the articles and have not found an answer for my problem.  I have reset the camera, hear the click.  I have deleted and reinstalled the app on my iPhone and on my PC.  I push the sync, the blue light flashes, I hear the chime when I hold it to the QR reader but it is taking too long to discover and the camera shuts off.  

I have tired this 20 times with my IPhone and with my PC, neither will discover this camera. I can not add this device. It is new and has never been installed.  I am so unhappy with this system.  Any suggestions?

On occasion, I've found that logging out of the app and back in finds that the camera is actually there. Have you tried that? Alos, try holding the reset button until the camera clicks and the LED flashes amber. Let it reboot and try again.

OldGold22
Initiate
Initiate

Ok ... so after many long a frustrating attempts to get the Arlo Q connected and discovered. Went through all of the requirements to no avail. i could see the camera had connected to my Wireless but the Arlo would nopt discover it. Finally i have it working... things that were changed....

1. Shorter apsswords with no special characters - i reset the wireless password to one with less than 32 characters.

2. Powered the camera down for 2+ days 

3. Fixed a misconfiguration on the Access Point that was preventing DNS Name Resolution.

I am discounting options 1 and 2 as solutions because the camera was already connected to the wifi and I could watch it connect on the Access Point software. I ahve had this same camera working on the same wifi earlier without problem. I have also had it powered off for more than a week in the past.

Option 3 ... The Access Point was not resolving DNS entries and we picked this up when some browser pages were not loading correctly and we were having a similar frustrating experience trying to setup wifi lights. We reconfigured the DNS to correctly resolve the browser pages and we coudl get the lights connected. Wwe tried the Arlo camera and it was  discoverable. How this works I have no idea beause the camera is on the same subnet but I can only assume that the software wants to go somewhere to the internet or needs to get to a DNS server as part of the discovery process and when it can't it fails. What still erks; if this is the ase, is why not error and report the true cause of the problem; i.e. Site blah.blah.blah was not reachable, instead of silently failing to discover the camera.

If you are having problems getting the camera discvered makes sure that you have full internet connectivity.. It may not be the answer but I hope it helps.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I recently have had some seeming DNS issues, too. WHat DNS provider were you using? I was using OpenDNS with settings of 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.222.220. We experienced slow Google searches so I changed servers which seemed to be the fix but the slowness has returned. Looking up the settings for OpenDNS it appears that they changed to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Unfortunately, that didn't help. A router reboot "fixes" things but it will eventually resume slow searches. BTW, this is on a Netgear R8000P router.

Use of Google DNS seemed to be the fix but isn't.

TeeSquared
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tried and tried to connect my 2nd Q and it wouldn't work.  I then remembered that not only is the network password case sensitive but the network name is ALSO case sensitive.  After entering the needed capital letters, connectivity was right away.