Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q connected to router but not to site/app

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
niklaswik
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is just great. I got a new Arlo Q after my old one died for no apparent reason (happy with the RMA process though) but now this new one is just one big headache...

I can connect it, everything seems fine, and then within 12 hours I can no longer see it on the website or in the app. It says it is not connected. If I pull the plug and restart it, it's ok for another few hours. Repeat.

Amazingly annoying and 100% useless as far as security cameras go.

The funny thing is, I just realized, the camera IS connected to my router, the router is connected to the internet (I'm posting this..) but somewhere along the way the camera loses contact with the Arlo server. I can even ping the camera perfectly fine, no problem at all.

My best guess, assuming the camera is not defective from the start, is that there is something messed up in the router settings, but that seems a bit far-fetched since I can't remember changing a single thing since installing the previous camera which worked fine for at least 8 months.

Any ideas? Resets have been tried, both pulling the plug and pressing the reset-button.

Update: just as I posted this I heard the distinct "click" (shutter-like) sound that the camera makes while booting up. But it's still not working. Maybe it's rebooting itself once in a while? 

Oh, and before anyone asks: yes, it is within range from the router. Literally 2 ft away from it, in the same window. Range is not an issue.

9 REPLIES 9
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you reset the Q ?

Hold in the reset for ten secs till the front led flashes amber... resync

edit...just saw you did.  FW version? v1.8.3.1-11965

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
niklaswik
Aspirant
Aspirant

Several times.

BTW, it does get very hot, I just measured with an IR-thermometer: 48.5°C (119 F) on the back. Maybe that's normal but it feels like an unhealthy temperature.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

niklaswik wrote:

Several times.

sounds like another rma

FW version? v1.8.3.1-11965

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

niklaswik wrote:

Several times.

BTW, it does get very hot, I just measured with an IR-thermometer: 48.5°C (119 F) on the back. Maybe that's normal but it feels like an unhealthy temperature.

Warm is normal... do know if it gets too warm/hot... it will shut down with messg re heat

niklaswik
Aspirant
Aspirant

1.8.3.0_9926 is what mine has.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

will attempt to verify mine is not a field version of FW 

latest version is what you have... ( field test version on mine )

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Release-Notes-Arlo-Q-Q-FW-1-8-3-0-9926-2nd-D...

TabulaRasa
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem. 

Are you able to enter your routers log?

Here is mine:

Jul 12 10:53:17 dnsmasq-dhcp[2181]: DHCPDISCOVER(br0) [ARLO Q MAC ADRESS] 
Jul 12 10:53:17 dnsmasq-dhcp[2181]: DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.51 [ARLO Q MAC ADRESS] 
Jul 12 10:53:17 dnsmasq-dhcp[2181]: DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.10.135 [ARLO Q MAC ADRESS] 
Jul 12 10:53:17 dnsmasq-dhcp[2181]: DHCPNAK(br0) 192.168.10.135 [ARLO Q MAC ADRESS]  wrong server-ID

The camera tries to get IP for a non-existent subnet.

It will still register as connected to the router.

Unable to connect it to the Arlo app. Did several resets.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Just to verify, the reset was by holding the reset button until the LED flashes amber, right?  You'd then have to resync using the QR code.  I'd guess your router log is from the attempt to actually connect to the router after the resync attempt.

Have you power cycled the router?  That's fixed a few other strange issues.  Might be worth trying both bands (2.4 and 5GHz) if yoyr router supports it.

niklaswik
Aspirant
Aspirant

For some stupid reason my camera has now been working flawlessly for a week since the last restart...

Nothing is changed, just that it's working. Just another electronic miracle I suppose.