Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q camera on a WiFi extension

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Weston
Aspirant
Aspirant

How can I operate the Arlo Q camera on a WiFi extension with my mobile phone one the base WiFi?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Weston
Aspirant
Aspirant

JAmesC

My problem was caused by the Q and the mobile being in different wifi zones. (Base and extender) with no cell net signal where I live. I have introduced another wifi Access Point between the two areas which solved the problem. Thanks for help with the his topic.

regards David

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I don't understand the question. Do you mean set it up using a phone? If so, the phone must be on your WiFi. An extender would be part of your WiFi network, too. It doesn't matter if the phone is connected to the extender or your router. In the setup process you would connect the Q to the extender SSID and enter the passphrase.

Or isn't that what you meant?
Weston
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have got the Arlo Q working with my iPhone using the same base wifi but when I change the Q to the wifi extension wifi it refuses to work.  I have a house made of stone and an wifi extender is essential to get service in all areas, will the Q work under these conditions?

I live in theUK and appreciate your help. My regards

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Weston wrote:

I have got the Arlo Q working with my iPhone using the same base wifi but when I change the Q to the wifi extension wifi it refuses to work.  I have a house made of stone and an wifi extender is essential to get service in all areas, will the Q work under these conditions?

I live in theUK and appreciate your help. My regards

When setting up your system. ( if using mobile device) the phone MUST be on the same network.

If your moiving the Q cam over to the extender, chances are it won't work as the SSID /password for the extender is prob different from your main unit.

So log in your phone to the extender's wifi and then try to setup  the Arlo system on that network.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Weston
Aspirant
Aspirant

I believe that the Q and iPhone will work ok on the wifi extender but for the required operation the iPhone is situated in the base wifi zone and the Q situated in the extender zone!  It can't be the first time that this configuration has happened?.  Thanks again.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

This should be only an initial setup issue since, once configured, the rest of the communication is with the servers, not directly with the camera.  You can use cell service to monitor once the Q is configured - only the Q will be using the extender for anything.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Weston,

Were you able to resolve the issue by connecting your phone to the WiFi extender SSID as suggested above by TomMac?

Please let us know,

JamesC

Weston
Aspirant
Aspirant

JAmesC

My problem was caused by the Q and the mobile being in different wifi zones. (Base and extender) with no cell net signal where I live. I have introduced another wifi Access Point between the two areas which solved the problem. Thanks for help with the his topic.

regards David