Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q and Apple router

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
oregonrain00
Follower
Follower

I am considering buying Arlo Q to monitor my pets. I have an apple router and I am seeing a lot of concerns with compatibility, all the way to "it's not compatible with Apple". I am not sure if it's a few people who are very vocal, or a real problem.

Does anyone have an Apple router and no issues with Arlo Q? Do the majority of Apple router owners have issues installing Arlo Q, or a minority? Ant sense for the scale of the problem would be appreciated so I can decide whether to buy it or look elsewhere.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

oregonrain00,

You should be able to use Arlo Q with your Apple router.

Some users have had issues connecting their Arlo Q when using special characters in their SSID/Password, for more information on how to troubleshoot if you experience this issue, see here: Can special characters in a network name cause problems for Arlo Q?

JamesC

kelvincrunch
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem I am having with the Apple Airport Extreme is the constant disconnection between the camera during Live Streaming. It would be lucky to see anything longer than 5 mins then the green message will pop up saying "Your device has been disconnected".

I talked to the Tech Support and they admitted that cases like this with Apple Router is not uncommon. I purchased a new Airport Extreme as instructed and the problem still persist these days. After all that failure, I was instructed again to open Port 80, 123 and 443 on the router. I was able to open Port 443 via Airport Utiltiy but failed to get the other 2 ports opened. They said all 3 ports has to be opened to get the Live Streaming uninterrupted or I should call Comcast to get the ports unlocked. I just didn't expect a DIY camera could become such an headache after spending $199 for a new Apple Airport Extreme.

My verdict: I still recommend this camera if you can forget Live Streaming.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

kelvincrunch wrote:

The problem I am having with the Apple Airport Extreme is the constant disconnection between the camera during Live Streaming. It would be lucky to see anything longer than 5 mins then the green message will pop up saying "Your device has been disconnected".

I talked to the Tech Support and they admitted that cases like this with Apple Router is not uncommon. I purchased a new Airport Extreme as instructed and the problem still persist these days. After all that failure, I was instructed again to open Port 80, 123 and 443 on the router. I was able to open Port 443 via Airport Utiltiy but failed to get the other 2 ports opened. They said all 3 ports has to be opened to get the Live Streaming uninterrupted or I should call Comcast to get the ports unlocked. I just didn't expect a DIY camera could become such an headache after spending $199 for a new Apple Airport Extreme.

My verdict: I still recommend this camera if you can forget Live Streaming.

More specifically, live view using an Airport Extreme. I have had no problems using two other routers, Netgear and Asus. Talk to Apple - it's their issue.

I wonder if it's partly an upload speed issue. Maybe you're maxing out your upload speed, causing an issue.