Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Won't Stream

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
joed858
Aspirant
Aspirant

Bought the Arlo Q yesterday and the camera won't stream. It worked for a couple of minutes when I first set the camera up but since then, nothing. I'm unable to stream from either my iOS app or a web-based view (tried both Chrome and IE). 

When I click on the 'Stream' button, the app hangs for five or ten minutes. Occasionally a message says something like 'streaming not available.' The home WiFi is good. I have PetCube devices set up which I am viewing right now in real time with no issues. 

One possible issue is the Firmware. My app indicates that an update is available (I'm on 1.7.4_5517). The app prompts me to update to 1.8.3.2_17494, so I click the 'Update' button, but nothing happens. When I click 'Live' a message says the firmware is updating. So I wait for it to complete and each time it does, I go back to the firmware page and it says I'm still on the older version. 

Really frustrating. I've experienced issues every step of the way with this camera. I know tech issues are part of life but it shouldn't be this hard to watch a live stream of my home from a brand new camera.

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Try a reset by removing the camera from Settings, My Devices. To be thorough, also press the reset button on the camera until the LED flashes amber. Let it boot and then resync. It should then update without issue.

joed858
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm away from home right now but I'll try this out when I get home and report back.

Although I did have to reset it a couple of times yesterday when I first set it up. Would it have tried to update to the latest firmware then?

Thanks!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, it should have notified of an update which you would had to click on to perform.

joed858
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well, I followed your instructions and now I’m unfortunately back to my original problem which is that the app isn’t able to discover the device. Followed all the steps, got the chime after the QVC code and the discovery failed. Took me a half hour yesterday to get it to work. I’m going to try one more time and then call it quits. Between the inability to stream, the inability to update firmware and all of the time spent just trying to get the device discovered, it’s clear that I need to return the device. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It may well be a faulty device. Swapping at the store is the fastest thing to do.

joed858
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your time and support on this. I do appreciate you walking me through the potential fix and giving me some helpful information. Will probably just try a new brand and hope for the best. Thanks again.