Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
ReamBreamCream
Tutor
Tutor

I have a Arlo Q camera and its been doing some strange recording recently.

Firstly if it was to record motion for 30 seconds, it would save the file to the library as a 4 hour video, the first 30 seconds were the motion and then the rest of the video it was frozen. The camera has stopped recording in this mode now and now if it detects motion for 60 seconds, it will record the first 10 seconds, and then the camera freezes and the next 50 seconds are frozen.

Should i reset the camera or is there a fault and it needs returning?

26 REPLIES 26
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Power cycle the camera. Use both the app and a computer browser. If still having an issue, try a reset of the camera by removing it from Settings, My Devices. Hold the reset button on the camera until the LED flashes amber. Resync. If STILL no good, open a case with support here.

Mack1359
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is not a camera issue - this is a known issue on the server side caused by Netgear / Arlo. Has been doing this for a lot of customers for 3 weeks and Arlo have said it could take 2 more weeks to fix.  There is another thread on this forum with 6+ pages discussing the failure of Netgear to resolve this issue.

ReamBreamCream
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks i will check out the other threads

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The frozen recording isn't likely the same thing. The long recording time is a different issue.

MarkPaulG
Guide
Guide

Same exact problem here.  Just started within the last few weeks.

It's not our problem.  It's on the server side.  

Jwilliams265
Initiate
Initiate
I just purchased 2 arlo q's to add to my arlo system. I already owned to arlo pro's which I had noticed when looking at live view on those,, you could hear the sound but video would not play until you paused it and hit live view again which is aggravating if you are trying to see who is in your driveway. Both of these arlo qs have intermittent audio and/or video freezing. Sometimes they will record all of the movement and audio that I have it set for (45 seconds) then other times, the audio will cut out anywhere from 10-20 seconds or the video will freeze at any given time while hearing the audio. I have excellent fast internet and neither camera is far away from the router or the router extender on 2 separate floors. My mic is turned up, I've restarted them to no avail. Please help before I send these back to get something else as these seem unreliable.
say10
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m having a similar problem. I have 5 Arlo Q cameras with the 30 day monthly subscription. They are set to record 2 minute clips on motion detection. They’ve worked more or less fine for almost a year. But in the last few months they randomly started only recording audio/video for 10-20 seconds sometimes 30 seconds, and then freezes for the rest of the clip. It’s on all of my cameras and nearly all of the clips. It’s infuriating and I’m ready to sell this garbage and let it be someone else’s problem. 

Whats going on arlo? Are you aware of this problem? Are there plans to fix it? 

Dieseltown
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have same issue here. Have you checked the video feeds online vs in the app? I heard they are fine online but only show frozen in the app. (Not that it makes it any better)
Ells
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I am still having this issue. 

It is a BIG problem now, we really need to know what is going on and using these devices to protect from people who are engaged in illegal activity and harassing us. PLEASE FIX.

I am “donating” videos that show this problem with freezing. It seems to be either the video is far too long, freezes despite being seconds longer than the freeze (like it IS recording, but we just can’t see the footage), or does BOTH. I’ve been patient for weeks and the problems still persist.

Ells
Aspirant
Aspirant

How do you look at videos online (vs in the app)? 

THanks!

Mack1359
Apprentice
Apprentice

I am 100% convinced they are NOT going to fix this issue and they'll end of life the cameras.

I had the rudest interaction with tech support on Friday before I got my Amazon return code.

The technician listened to me explain that the camera has not worked for six weeks and all she kept repeating over and over again was "I understand its inconvenient but engineering is working on this". When I told her that THEY broke the camera functionality and explained various elements of why a security system that doesn't work is bad she basically rolled her eyes over the phone and sighed and repeated exactly the same script again. When I asked the technician if they honestly had any intent on fixing the cameras as six weeks to patch something seems suspicious she said " I don't know...is there anything else I can help you with today".

They don't care - I'm convinced they won't fix it and I'm delighted that after 11 months Amazon were kind enough to let me return this **bleep**ty product. Also notice how with pages and pages of us discussing this not ONCE has an executive or a senior Arlo staff member come on here and apologized or made an official company statement.  Just a few posts from mods here and there saying that engineering is working on it. Oh, also, the technician on the phone support line said to me " Look ,as I have said engineering is working on it and they will let you know when its fixed". When I asked how they will let me know she said they'd phone me.  This is without me giving them my phone number AND do we really believe they'd call thousands of customers with this problem?  It would take weeks for them to sit making outbound calls.  The whole thing stinks and I'm amazed they haven't been on the receiving end of a lawsuit ...yet.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A cloud update was released late last week that should resolve this issue. If you continue to experience this with new recordings, please send me a private message so I can work with you to further investigate.

Thank you,

JamesC

Mack1359
Apprentice
Apprentice

NOT fixed. Here's a screenshot of todays longest time.

Achen87
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same, I reset the cameras and they are still only recording 10 seconds with the remainder of the video frozen despite showing as 2:00 min videos (and being set to record for 2 minutes).
ReamBreamCream
Tutor
Tutor

Hi James,

I still have the issue sometimes on my camera app recordings. Sometimes it will record motion and sounds for the full duration, othertimes it will record sound/motion for 10 - 15 seconds and then the rest of the recording is frozen, and sometimes i'm sure i'm not getting audio alerts when motion is detected.

So the issue is still not fixed.

Will resetting the camera fix the issue?

GotRobbed
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the same problem with the video, it records the first 15 seconds the rest is frozen. And we had a robbery infront of our home yesterday. I will contact every single investor if this doesn’t get fixed ASAP.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

GotRobbed,

The engineering team is investigating this issue currently. Try viewing the video clips using the web client (on a computer) to see if you see the same results.

JamesC

GotRobbed
Aspirant
Aspirant

I did check on a computer yesterday. Same problem. I am incredibly frustrated.

ArloDuck
Aspirant
Aspirant
Same problem here. I’ve missed TWO very important recordingS because of Netgear’s incompetence. Will be returning all my cameras to Costco if Netgear doesn’t resolve quickly.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Several backend improvements have been made to resolve this issue. Also Be sure you have the latest version of the Arlo mobile app installed from the app store. Please let me know if you continue experiencing this behavior.

JamesC

MRDG5
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am experiencing the same problem. The camera stops recording at 19 seconds despite the activity goes on. I have another video of 2 minutes however the video freezes at 19 seconds. The settings are 300 secs - the camera has been installed 4 days ago. Yet, it seems to have the same on going issue as all the other users. Pls fix this problem. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved with firmware release 1.8.3.2_21995. Please check your Arlo Q firmware to be sure you have the latest version. You can view the release notes here: Release Notes - Arlo Q/Q+ FW 1.8.3.2_21995 - 7th August 2018

JamesC

Panthers52
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am also having the same issue.  The cameras will detect the motion but when I try and view the video it will just show a frozen picture. Currently running 1.11.90_26520

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Panthers52,

Have you tried to reboot your base station?