Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Bad Picture Quality

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Sussi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live in Stockholm in Sweden and I wonder if there is a supportoffice where I can go with my cameras so they can check them out?

The quality is very poor and they are supposed to be full HD! If I can´t find someone to check this I will return everything, base station an 4 cameras.

Regards Sussi

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

can you post a snapshot example?

Here's a shot I havve of the PRO... btw it is 720 , but there also is some compression added.

Captureman.JPG

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Sussi wrote:

I live in Stockholm in Sweden and I wonder if there is a supportoffice where I can go with my cameras so they can check them out?

Use the Contact Support link at the bottom here which has various phone numbers listed for varrious countries.

Sussi
Aspirant
Aspirant

This is one thing that hapens a lot. It can be green, red or gray. The picture is "jumping", if a person is walking in the picture  If you look down in the left corner you can see the dog that started the camera to record. 

The quality is so bad, even thous it is the full HD camera, so in 4-5 meter distance you can´t read the registration number on a car.

Bild inlagd i Arlo Support Comunity.png

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Picture not available yet... but i will agree in difficulty as to reading a lic plate at 5 m

These are 130d angle cameras which are pretty wide view... add the compression to data and at 720 , your not going to read plates.

But it ( in defense ), was not designed to read car plates as it is more of a general coverage/ activity camera.

There are tow types of cameras;

1) Activity - cover large area so you know what/when , but usu NOT ID of person involved as it covers to large an area

2) ID camera -  covers small area for an ID of person , but if person doesn't enter samll area ( like door frame ) you get nothing.

Best is using a bit of both, but any camera that can alert prior to event or gather some info is always better than none at all.

Here a snap shot of the Q camera ( at 1080 ) re a lic plate at about 12-14m  and you still can't read a plate, but plenty of info is in pictureCaptureQ.JPG

Not an issue really of the camera rez, but a compromise of the FOV vs rez... to read plates you need a much tighter field of view which can limit coverage area.... it's a choice you make in picking cameras

Morse is faster than texting!
Sussi
Aspirant
Aspirant

The camera I am talking about and that I sent the photo from is the one with 1080 pxl.

I have two 720 pxl cameras and two 1080 pxl cameras and the 1080 pxl cameras have much more problems where the picture is dividing into pixels and/or it becomes green, red or gray. The 720 pxl cameras nearly never behave like this.

Regards Sussi

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That implies your cameras with issues are the Q cameras.  The major issue with those, other than bad hardware, would be the WiFi connection to the router, whether due to strength or inteference.  If you temporarily move the camera to different locations, do the videos get better?  If so, it's the WiFi - choose a different location for the camera.