Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
yclaw
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Q plus was working normally until recently. In the past few days, it just suddenly failed to live stream or record anything before returning to normal by itself after a few hours. This happened a few times already. I tried rebooting it when it didn’t work but to no avail. I have a CVR subscription so I can see the exact down periods from the timeline. My home network is 100Mb and is doing great. (I restarted my router a few times but this didn’t solve the problem.)

In fact, during the down time, I could still use my app to control the camera (using both mobile data and home Wi-Fi). E.g., I can still set the activity zones, turn on/off the LED, turn on/off the infrared, arm/disarm, etc. This means the camera is online, but just no live streaming, no recording. My router log shows that the camera has good signal strength. (I didn’t change the camera location anyway before the problem arose.)

I have a second Arlo camera in my home network (Pro 4). It is working normally. The second one does not have CVR but it can live stream and record to the cloud without problem. This all shows my home network is not a problem.

5 REPLIES 5
Streak2
Master Master
Master

If there is no schedule under modes that it is deactivating the camera during certain times then I would just remove and reinstall the camera and see if that sorts out the issue.

yclaw
Aspirant
Aspirant

Schedules won't affect CVR and live streaming. The problem is still here even if I set the camera to Armed mode.

After weeks of troubleshooting, I found the following:

- Even when CVR / cloud recording / live streaming is down, some videos can still be recorded locally to my SD card.

- When everything is normal, I can "trigger" the problem by ejecting/inserting an SD card or restarting the camera. (My SD card is newly bought and is functioning normally.)

- I haven't yet found ways to "trigger" the resumption of service.

- Switching 2.4GHz / 5GHz / Ethernet makes no difference. I even tried tethering through my mobile network. So it must not be my home network problem.

I dare not reset the camera (at least for now). I'm just afraid it won't connect again. I attach an example CVR timeline here showing the severity of the problem. Hope somebody here can offer help. Thank you.

cvr.jpg

yclaw
Aspirant
Aspirant

I attach the CVR timeline again in case some cannot see it. Thx.

cvr.jpg
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gaps in CVR are often a sign of network congestion, more specifically with the upload bandwidth. What are your upload speeds? I recommend checking these speeds when the issue is occurring to see if there is an ISP issue.

JamesC

yclaw
Aspirant
Aspirant

My home network is 100Mb up/down. Speedtesting at various time of the day consistently gives me >90Mb/s, which is way higher than the bandwidth that the camera needs. I already tried giving the highest priority for my Arlo cameras in my router.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation