Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
daviesd
Guide
Guide

I added an Arlo Q to my existing 4 wireless camera's.  The microphone works at home but when I am away it just says please wait and I can't use the microphone.  Also sometimes it takes a long time to get the camera live.  Can someone help me!  I would really like to use the microphone when I am away from home.  Really doesn't help me that much when I am at home.

88 REPLIES 88
MiggsTN
Tutor
Tutor
The mic button is back but again, the original issue of the mic getting stuck on "connecting" is still unresolved. Please address since this has been an ongoing issue since the inception of this thread.
TeknicalKo
Star
Star
I continue to be directed to call in about the matter which I have and I am sure many others... I will once again detail out the exact problem and would prefer not to be asked what iOS version carrier etc as I will provide all that and let's cut to the chase and finally give the community resolution after six months..

When on home wifi that camera and phone are connected to the same wifi I can utilize the voice by speaking into my phone and it is heard via camera. When on TMobile not wifi.. even in the home I am unable to speak through my phone through camera it just says connecting on my phone although I can hear just can't speak back through camera. I am through T-Mobile I am on the most up to date iOS my camera has all recent updates.. I have an iPhone 6s and 7 both continue to say connecting when on cellular.. please don't direct me to my carrier T mobile if that is the case I expect your technical team would engage the provider and troubleshoot not your CUSTOMER. It is very interesting that your team is unable to provide resolution and even more so when you put accountability on us to resolve.. your product your accountable to help us..
MiggsTN
Tutor
Tutor
I second everything TeknicalKo says! Everything he/she says is exactly as I'm experiencing and just to add for more specifics regarding my particular system is that I'm on an iPhone 7+ with a Arlo Pro system. Get on the ball Arlo!!!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

MiggsTN,

I have escalated this issue for further investigation. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

MiggsTN
Tutor
Tutor
JamesC
Not sure if you're aware but this has been an ongoing issue since last year and whenever you guys say you'll be "investigating" that normally means nothing unless somebody brings it up again to your attention. Just look at this thread. Again, this is an advertised feature! The fact that it's not working is totally unacceptable.
danielofl
Aspirant
Aspirant

Resurrecting, is this still an issue? I still cannot login with my iPhone to use the microphone.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

danielofl,

There was an issue with the microphone being display that has since been resolved. Log out from your mobile app using Settings > Profile > Log out and sign back in. You should then be able to see the microphone.

JamesC

TeknicalKo
Star
Star
Dear Netgear moderator- the issue we speak of for over 6 months now is in regards to the app saying CONNECTING when you click the microphone icon while on iOS Apple iPhone 6/7 and whatever else version was reported over the last gosh darn 6 months. While connected to the same wifi as the camera indeed it works but once we go cellular this is when the issue occurs. I believe everyone who has reported this is on T-Mobile Apple iOS.. check out the thread and you will hopefully be encouraged to make a difference for many customers (humans) and help us all get a true resolution... let me share the three common responses we receive from your support team online here or on the phone.. our engineers are looking into it.. we resolved the issue (nope never happened)... lastly but up there with the number of times I heard the last two responses but our favorite - call into the support line... be a real life changer for us and get to the bottom of it we support you we believe in you now do us good and represent those who have suffered through such horrid customer support.
MiggsTN
Tutor
Tutor
JamesC - you're not a very good moderator if you don't even know what the issue is. Here's a novel thought - read the whole thread! And thanks to TechnicalKo, he just summarized it for you to make your life easier cause god-forbid a representative from Netgear actually familiarize himself with a thread issue?!?

Great summation TeknicalKo!
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I don't go back and reread the thread every time I reply.  There's only so much time available and I'm retired. If you have an issue, restate it and give details.  That's much more productive than what you just posted.

Charliehoss58
Guide
Guide
It wasn't me that made previous post but original post was about microphone not working on Arlo Pro cameras once you go from home wifi to phone carrier service this is one of the advertised features for the pro if it doesn't work then we could have saved money not getting pro
TeknicalKo
Star
Star
I am recapping here and by all means not looking to be confrontational hence the time I put in on calling support and posting as accurate as possible - the issue we speak of for over 6 months now is in regards to the app saying CONNECTING when you click the microphone icon while on iOS Apple iPhone 6/7 and whatever else version was reported over the last gosh darn 6 months. While connected to the same wifi as the camera indeed it works but once we go cellular this is when the issue occurs. I believe everyone who has reported this is on T-Mobile Apple iOS.. check out the thread and you will hopefully be encouraged to make a difference for many customers (humans) and help us all get a true resolution... let me share the three common responses we receive from your support team online here or on the phone.. our engineers are looking into it.. we resolved the issue (nope never happened)... lastly but up there with the number of times I heard the last two responses but our favorite - call into the support line... be a real life changer for us and get to the bottom of it we support you we believe in you now do us good and represent those who have suffered through such horrid customer support.
MiggsTN
Tutor
Tutor
I'm all for not being confrontational but you gotta call it for what it is. For a thread to be ongoing since last year and a Netgear moderator not even aware of the original issue is pretty bad customer service. In fact, I just tweeted at Arlo and they replied that "a handful" are experiencing this issue. I don't have a tally of all the people on this thread but I doubt there's less than five of us. It's not fun at all to be argumentative about this but you get what you give especially when it comes to technical support on an ADVERTISED feature that's NOT WORKING.

Jguerdat - you're not a Netgear moderator so I don't expect you to read the whole thread. That's not your job but it is theirs! And also, by your statement, doesn't your post defeat the purpose of it? You're not exactly "restating" an issue either, so thanks but no thanks!
Charliehoss58
Guide
Guide

I have posted on here that I can't use microphone function on my iPhone when away from my home network, but my wife's android works fine. We both are on the same cellular account T-Mobile so it's doesn't appear to be a cellular problem. Well now I was looking at my cameras on my iPhone and there is not even a microphone on the devices but my wife still has it on her android. It really does seem like Arlo and Apple have an issue of not being compatible. Are most of you having problems have apple products? If so maybe this would be a good place for the makers of Arlo cameras to start looking to fix this issue.

TeknicalKo
Star
Star
You are correct the theme is T-Mobile and iOS... one of my posts and calls in indicated this awhile back and I have asked that instead of asking the customer to contact Apple or TMobile that the netgear/Arlo team contact Apple support to rectify.. however that has not happened to date.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I am aware of and have escalated the T-mobile issue. There are two issues being discussed here:

For users like Charliehoss58, if you do not see the microphone icon, log out from your mobile app using Settings > Profile > Log out and sign back in. You should then be able to see the microphone.

Engineering is currently investigating the issue with users being unable to use the microphone feature when on the T-mobile network.

I apologize for any miscommunication.

JamesC

Charliehoss58
Guide
Guide

James C thank you for responding and I am going to try now logging out and back in on my IPhone. I see you and others saying this looks like an issue with tmobile. My wife and I are both on tmobile, same plan but she can use the mic function while I can't. I really think it's more of an Apple/Arlo problem. My wife has an android I have iPhone and we were in the same place same time when we noticed she could use mic but I couldn't. 

jdelong
Tutor
Tutor
Just add to the thread:

I too am having the issue of not being able to connect to the mic while off WiFi.

Carrier: T-mobile
Device: iPhone 6s

Arlo Base: 1.8.9.0
Cameras: 1.092.0.3

JamesC, please let me know if I can provide you with other information.
jdelong
Tutor
Tutor

For those of you who are curious, I got this response from Netgear Support.

"Currently our engineers have already identified the cause of the issue, T-Mobile currently has switch there network to purely IPv6 where in the push to talk feature was designed to work on only IPv4. Currently our engineers are working on implementing to support IPv6 to resolve the issue. As of the moment we do not have yet received an ETA but we can assure you that our engineers are prioritizing the issue to be able to immediately resolve the issue."

TeknicalKo
Star
Star
Great news. Thanks for updating the community
TeknicalKo
Star
Star
Any updates on net gear supporting IPv6 ?
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is still investigating the issue. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

joesupercoup
Aspirant
Aspirant

Samsung s5 on Verizon.  mic does not work with wifi or 4g.

I just bought this today.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

joesupercoup,

When you say it doesn't work, what are you experiencing? Do you see any error messages?

JamesC

Appolo
Tutor
Tutor

I have exactly the same problem than others clients.  I have an iPhone 7 and the server is T-mobile. When I'm away from home and try to use the mic it says connecting for ever. Never connect. My wife has also an IPone 7 and the server is Verizon. She doesn't have any problem. Please tell me when this issue is solved in few days if not I will return the Arlo pro with 6 cameras that cost me $1,050.00.