Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
joevolcano
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I get the message "There was a problem establishing a connection to the media server" when i try to connect to Live View on my iphone and iPad. I have the latest IOS app on both devices. On the browser it just shows "Please wait". 

It seems to capture movement judging by the notification i get though, but no recording.

I'm connected via WIFI and the setup went smoothly.

My hardware version is "VMC3040Sr6" and it has the latest firmware "1.8.3.0_9926"

BTW, I just bought the cam today and has not got it to work. Frustrating. Appreciate your help.

11 REPLIES 11
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Try power cycling the camera. If that doesn't help, try a reset holding the reset button until the camera clicks and the LED flashes amber. Resync.
joevolcano
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jguerdat,

I tried both reset as advised, removed and re-added the device.

Still the same message.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There's a couple of things to try before swapping the camera at the store.

Log out and back in.  Any change?

Try both the app and a browser.  Does one work?  If so, it's something with the other.  Which one works?

Otherwise, the simple solution is the swap at the store.

joevolcano
Aspirant
Aspirant

i went to the store and they tested on both wifi and wired and it worked.

My guess is it's probably the ASUS-AC87U router. Everything worked with my previous Arlo though, but not this one.

My router settings are plain vanilla, in case the questions asked.

Anyone else having issues with Arlo Q Plus and ASUS-AC87U routers?

Hello Netgear, i won't be changing my router. Can i return this?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I can't remember exactly what was up which may or may not have included my Q camera but I set my Netgear R7000 router to limit it to 600Mbs for WiFi. Firmware updates to the camera or router may fix this.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

joevolcano,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC

eifelarlo
Tutor
Tutor

@joevolcano Have you ever received a solution for this problem? (have same HW and SW version) I have the same issue here in Germany and would be very interested how to fix it. 

Did the following, but without success so far:

- Replaced Router

- Define static IP using static DHCP

- Switched from wired to wireless connection

- Reduced from 720p to 480p.

- Camera Reset

- Replaced LAN cable

- Static port forwarding of port 80,443,123 to Arlo. 

- FYI: Uplink is 1.2 Mbit/s and downlink 10 Mbit/s

- When I do a "snapshot"(video settings) its working again for some time, but stops again after some connects. A reboot helps as well for some time. 

- For me it looks like a software related problem. I find it strange that Netgear support is not interested in screen sharing or doing live investigation on the (cloud) system to maybe identify a bug.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Q-Plus/Arlo-Q-Plus-Kein-Livebild-und-keine-Aufnahmen-nach-ca-1...

joevolcano
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi, I didn't get it to work on my ASUS even after reverting the router to default production settings. In the meantime, I replaced the router with the standard equipment provided by my ISP. It's working now but I would really like to use my ASUS. Tried to contact support but got lost in the links on the website. Really wished it was simpler, it's been a bad experience overall. Even now, I've done a HW reset twice in a less than a month because the sound would dissapear. It's just a horrible experience so far.
hokeysmoke
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

FYI, I have an ASUS RT-N56U and have an Arlo Q and an Arlo Q Plus connected to it.  So it does not appear to be a generic ASUS problem.  You might want to try setting a unique SSID for the 2.4GHz connection so that it doesn't try any other frequency.

joevolcano
Aspirant
Aspirant

Agree it's probably not generic since my earlier Arlo (basic) worked. Nevertheless my Arlo Q Plus is not working with the ASUS-AC87U and yes i have different SSID for 2.4 and 5Ghz. Any other ideas would be great.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Did you try lowering the fastest rate for your connection? I found I had to use 600Mbs since the cameras don't seem to support higher rates.
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation