Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Plus Questions

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
matai
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey, I'm thinking about getting 5 Arlo Q Plus cameras, 2 inside, 3 outside and I'd use them wired with POE.  I've tried Dropcam and Vivint but have been unhappy with them because they are so laggy and inconsistant.  I have a couple questions before purchasing:

1.  Is the network traffic routed from the camera to the router then cloud and back?  If so, is there a way to not have it do that? 

2.  Can you record video to a home server?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

matai,

1. Yes, when the camera is armed for motion detection, video is uploaded to the Arlo cloud. There is a local backup storage option for the Arlo Q Plus (through microSD) that allows video to be recorded directly to the microSD card if the internet connection is lost.

2. When motion is detected and a recording is captured, it will be saved to the cloud, if the cloud cannot be reached due to loss of internet connectivity, the recording will be saved to the microSD card (when a card is inserted and enabled). There is no option to record to locally aside from the microSD card local storage backup feature.

JamesC

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

matai,

1. Yes, when the camera is armed for motion detection, video is uploaded to the Arlo cloud. There is a local backup storage option for the Arlo Q Plus (through microSD) that allows video to be recorded directly to the microSD card if the internet connection is lost.

2. When motion is detected and a recording is captured, it will be saved to the cloud, if the cloud cannot be reached due to loss of internet connectivity, the recording will be saved to the microSD card (when a card is inserted and enabled). There is no option to record to locally aside from the microSD card local storage backup feature.

JamesC

matai
Aspirant
Aspirant

Sounds like the Arlo system isn't for me.

BrandonV
Aspirant
Aspirant

With the Arlo Q Plus. When you have a micro Sd card present and enabled does it record to there only if the internet is not present? Also if it's not present for any reason does it upload the video to the cloud once the internet is present or does it keep it locally ?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's my understanding that all motion detection videos will be recorded to the SD card whether conencted to the Internet or not.  However, it will not upload videos taken when Internet connection is lost.  You must pull the card to see them.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation