Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q Plus Motion/Sound Detection stopped working when power is turned on.

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 14 In Conversation
George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

About a week ago (start of November 2021) my Arlo Q Plus stopped detecting Motion & Sound triggers when the camera is turned on at the power point, and hence recordings are not sent to Cloud and I'm not receiving Notifications & Emails.

I can connect to the camera using my iPhone app and I can manually record to the Cloud without problems.

I normally have the camera in Armed mode and when I get home I just turn the camera off at the power point and turn it back on when I go out.  Motion/Sound detection worked fine for the past four years until about a week ago presumably due to a camera firmware update.

I tried deleting the camera from the app and then adding the device back but it didn't fix the problem.

I eventually discovered that if I Disarm & Arm the camera in the App then the Motion/Sound detection works fine again.

However as soon as I turn the power off & back on then Motion/Sound detection stops working again even though the camera is showing as Armed.

This is a major issue because if I'm out, or away or on holidays, and there is a temporary power outage then the Motion/Sound detection will not work once power is back on. 

Is anyone else experiencing this issue and how can I notify Arlo of the issue as my camera is out of warranty and I'm no longer getting support?

Thanks for your help.

Best answers
  • ShayneS
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

This is now a known issue, the Arlo development team is currently investigating this. We will provide an update as soon as we have more information to share with the community.

45 REPLIES 45
alecaustin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too have experienced the Motion Detection no longer functioning on the Arlo Q Plus as of several weeks ago.

Tried all reset types of things and the Arm/Disarm does not trigger any resume of motion detection function.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Jenhemp

Have you tried to Disarm/Re-arm your camera?

Jenhemp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, I have tried that multiple times. 

I have also tried:

1. creating a custom arming modes

2. creating a activity zone

3. changing motion and audio detection setting

4. doing a hard-reset of the camera with the tiny button and a paper clip

5. I've done the following 3 times:

disconnecting the cameras from the app, unplugging them, letting them sit 5 min, plugging them back in, adding the cameras back through the app, re-arming them. 

There is still no motion or audio detection at ALL even when I am standing right in front of the cameras. 

The cameras work fine on Live View. Manual recording works. Those will show up in the library. 

Hanyshanata
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello, my Arlo Q stopped the recording , I didnt change any settings, restarted the camera and still no recording
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you checked your active mode?

scattercat
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've had this same issue every since Nov 20th (last day that I have any recordings). I've tried resetting the device and power cycling them to no avail. Any help?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@scattercat wrote:

I've had this same issue every since Nov 20th (last day that I have any recordings). I've tried resetting the device and power cycling them to no avail. Any help?

Is this with older cameras (Pro, Pro 2, Q, etc)?

scattercat
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes this is with the Arlo Qs.

goldenDK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same here, all cameras stopped recording today. Got two working again, but two are still not recording anything.
Yes, I checked the Armed settings and also reset the cameras multiple times, and added them again as new devices.

Nothing works, please help!

Norseman427
Tutor
Tutor

One of my two Arlo Q Plus PoE stopped detecting motion and sound events on Nov 21, 2021, so I was getting no recordings in the cloud nor any notifications (push or email), but live view was still working.

I tried to disarm and re-arm, create a new armed mode, restart from the app, power off and back on, remove it from the Smart Notifications and Package Detection setting, but the issue was not resolved.

Then I decided to use the my.arlo.com web interface to move the Arlo Smart Premier Single Camera subscription from the Arlo Q Plus with the issue to the one that had no issue, and then they both started working!

Both are still working after a power cycle!

BTW, I reboot both nightly because after some random number of days they would stop recording to the cloud and the only thing to fix it would be to do a power cycle.

Both cameras are same model and have same firmware:

Firmware 1.10.1.0_195_13971f9

Hardware VMC3040Sr6

Geekqualizer
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you Norseman427. 

Unfortunately I only have one subscription and am unable to move.  The camera does work when I disarm and then arm and make a manual recording from the website.  It works until I reboot which as you stated is necessary to keep the device working.   

ptkmora
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi.

My camera stopped was set to wake up when it detected motion. Suddenly the camera stopped recording videos since 19th of November. 

When I enter in myArlo account, the camera is "Off". Putting it "On", I can see through the camera and I can record the scene. The recording is then correctly saved in "Library".

This means that the problem isn't Internet connection.

In myArlo is not present anymore the  section "Activity Zones" under Settings. 

I think the two problems may be connected each other.

Anybody has the same issue and could fix it?

I already tried to disconnect the comera from power supply for minutes, but without success.

Thank you to everyone who could help.

Jenhemp
Aspirant
Aspirant
Shane, any update on when/if we can expect a fix? It's been weeks now. I really need my cameras working. They are baby monitors/nanny cams.
George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Shane,

Is it possible for Arlo to rollback the change which broke all our cameras so we can have working cameras again?

Arlo need to be more customer focused, we all need working cameras, the fix is taking an unacceptably long time.

Thanks & Regards, George

Norseman427
Tutor
Tutor
I got my 2 cameras working for a day, the next day they did not trigger any motion events again, but today I have gotten sound events triggered. Since I am not home to test IDK if motion would trigger too and if the second camera would trigger sound/motion. Frustrating!
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

There has been an update that should resolve this issue with your Arlo Q not detected motion. Can you reboot your cameras and test again.

Thank you

Jenhemp
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you, yes, they are finally working again!
Norseman427
Tutor
Tutor

I rebooted both cameras right now, and can confirm that both trigger on motion and sound today, thank you!

I was away for some days and I have both cameras set up to reboot each night, and it seemed like they both were working from Friday onwards.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Awesome news, Thank you for the updates!

George8888
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello Shane,

All three problems which I reported are working again.

1. Motion & Sound detection is working after powering on.

2. Push Notifications & Email Alerts are working.

3.  Recordings are recording for the set time eg. 120 secs instead of just the duration of motion.

Thank you very much Shane, Arlo and the Arlo Community members who have replied here for all your help, much appreciated.

Regards, George

Geekqualizer
Tutor
Tutor

Yes the camera is detecting motion again.  Thank you for resolving the issue.