Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Q POE and R7000. Don't have POE adapter. Can I use R7000 as Base Station?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
mrpierre
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi 

I bought a single second user Arlo Q plus, but I am not having much joy setting it up. Not too sure if I got fleeced! So I have two questions.

1. As there seems to be an issue with WiFi, If I use POE I assume that will negate that issue? I have a Netgear POE network switch, but I don't have the POE adaptor. Is there somewhere where I can buy this attachment? My web searches aren't going great. 
  2. As I was searching on the forum I did see something about using the R7000 as a base station? I do have this router, but the posts are from a few years back so I wanted to know if this was something removed from later updates.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

mrpierre

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@mrpierre wrote:

I bought a single second user Arlo Q plus, but I am not having much joy setting it up. Not too sure if I got fleeced! So I have two questions.

1. As there seems to be an issue with WiFi, If I use POE I assume that will negate that issue? I have a Netgear POE network switch, but I don't have the POE adaptor. Is there somewhere where I can buy this attachment? My web searches aren't going great.

First, the original owner needs to remove the camera from his account for you to be able to use it. Can you verify he did?

You would likely have to contact support using the link below to see if they would send you an adapter.

As I was searching on the forum I did see something about using the R7000 as a base station? I do have this router, but the posts are from a few years back so I wanted to know if this was something removed from later updates.

The Q doesn't use a base station so that has nothing to do with your camera. The R7k did have a brief attempt at using it as a base station (I had one for testing) but it was a bust. The firmware needed for Arlo was updating much quicker than that for the router, meaning the Arlo updates weren't keeping up. It was abandoned after a few months.

mrpierre
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks so much for the detailed response. I will look into those suggestions.
mrpierre
Aspirant
Aspirant

I spoke to a nice guy at Arlo support.

As you said it looks like the camera is still on the other account, they also removed the serial number sticker from the base, AND because I have no serial I can't get the POE adaptor. Moral of the story...don't buy second hand. 😞

michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

@mrpierre wrote:

As you said it looks like the camera is still on the other account, they also removed the serial number sticker from the base,

If you can get the Q Plus camera to show up in the browser interface, it will reveal its serial number.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
mrpierre
Aspirant
Aspirant

Unfortunately that doesn't work either, as I can't get past the sync screen, this is why is why I wanted to try the network attachment, which I can't get.

Well, I suppose I could power it and keep it as a fake camera!

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation