Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

very blurry picture

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 9 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
KSus
Star
Star

I am extremely disappointed with the Arlo Pro. After researching a number of wireless security cameras, we decided on the Arlo Pro because it had the best reviews. We feel as though we have been extremely deceived. All of the demos show these really clear videos, as though you are right there watching or as clear as an HD tv. This is definitely not the case! We set the camera approximately 15' from a license plate (not moving) and you couldn't read any of the numbers. As a matter of fact, you couldn't even tell it was a license plate. My husband then stood next to the license plate, you could tell it was a man, but, could not make out any of his features. What good is that? We are seriously considering packing everything up and returning the system. If I am setting something incorrectly, please let me know, otherwise, this system is going back to Best Buy.

18 REPLIES 18
steve_t
Master Master
Master

I don't suppose you've accidentally left the clear plastic film on the front of the camera? If you have, peel it off as it's only for protection during shipping

KSus
Star
Star

I don't know wether to laugh or get angry.....what an insult!

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Sorry if you're insulted. If you're a techie that helps friends and family out, you'll know that you should never discount any possibility no matter how rudimentary it seems. In fact, if you look around here, there have been many people who have made the same error. If you contact customer support, I'm sure they will ask you the same thing!

Anyway, other reasons why the image might appear pixelated or blurry include interference, poor signal due to distance from the base station, smudges on the lens, low lighting, complex background detail. Keep in mind that these cameras are 'only' 720p resolution. Compared to many wired cameras that transmit 1080p resolution video, the video is going to be relatively blurry.

Perhaps attach a screenshot so long standing users can tell you if the image is worse than expected. If you can't read a licence plate from 15' then perhaps there is a fault with your camera and it needs replacing.

KSus
Star
Star

Appology accepted. I can understand your questioning, some people do forget to remove the plastic and even lens caps.  I do appreciate all of your suggestions.

The Arlo Pro us supposed to be an upgrade from the Arlo. We were told that the Arlo Pro is 1080p resolution (definitely not). All of the reviews rate it as the very best wireless, wifi security camera system. If you watch any of the demos it looks as if you are right there watching the action. Very deceptive advertising. Unfortunately, we believed it. This our first security camera system. Since we have a lot of land to cover, we opted for a wireless system. Shoudl we expect the same problem with all wireless, wifi cameras?

Well, anyway. Thanks for your feedback. If you have any other suggestions I would be happy to hear them.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Yeah, unfortunately they're definitely not 1080p. I imagine that would take a lot more power and data transmission bandwidth, which might be OK for a powered camera eg Arlo Q 1080p, but probably not great for a battery powered one. Perhaps once Netgear get their solar panel released, they'll be able to do a 1080p version.

If you have a lot of land to cover, it might be the distance of the cameras from the base station. Try the camera in the same room as the base and see if that makes a difference

pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
same here image are blurrey too i set high video setting still blury.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As mentioned, the Pro Cameras are not 1080...they are 720 with a 130d angle field of view..... only the Q cameras are 1080.

And, plates are very hard to capture even with a Q camera at 30ft.... so don't feel bad... who ever told you it would do so was plain wrong.

here's a Q camera at 35 +/- ft  at 650pm so light is low but not dark; ( if dark the IR illuminators wash out the reflective plates to white )

q-35ft.jpg

There is no real chance to really read plates, unless you go out and write them down... it's a factor of the camera and it's wide angle view.

If you add motion ,then unless the car is running over the camera , you will get nada.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As a PS...I use to install cameras..the biggest mistakes I see with Arlo cameras is that;

1) users try to cover to much area and expect perfect pictures

2) the users try to make the cameras do what they weren't designed to do and complain when it doesn't work

steve_t
Master Master
Master

That looks really good. I feel my Arlo cameras give nearly as good a pic. While my driveway is often blurry and shimmery, I'm always amazed at how clearly my licence plate is resolved but then again, they capture directly in front of where the cameras are

KSus
Star
Star

I appreciate your suggestions. I have tried indoors, outdoors and remember the license plate from only 15' away. We're not trying to cover our entire property, but really 15', for what they cost you really should be able to read a license plate. Thanks, again for all of your suggestions, but, these cameras will be going back.

KSus
Star
Star

Yeah, the higher you set the resolution, the faster you drain the batteries. They will be going back.

KSus
Star
Star

This was our first security cameras. Maybe the Arlo Pro demo and the sales associates shouldn't tell us it wil do things they know the cameras can't do.

KSus
Star
Star

Nice pic, much clearer than with my Arlo Pro. What would happen if you zoom in? With the Arlo Pro it just blurs it more.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

KSus wrote:

Nice pic, much clearer than with my Arlo Pro. What would happen if you zoom in? With the Arlo Pro it just blurs it more.

Pictures are made of dots/pixels... if you zoom digitally in, usually all you get is bigger dots.

Captureplate.JPG

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use of 3rd party software that allows screen capture as well as resampling may help but it's tough to create missing information from nothing.  What you see on TV (CSI, etc.) simply isn't possible, at least for mere mortals.

Here's a 3x enlargement with resampling (you'll have to wait for the image to be approved to be able to see it):

original.jpg

KSus
Star
Star

Hey, thanks, you have been very helpful. Hard to believe there isn't some camera out there that provides a clearer picture. This isn't Hollywood.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
720p is under 1 megapixel and 1080 is only about 2 megapixel. That, in addition to compression, simply isn't enough resolution to be able to zoom in much, especially with such wide angle lens ex. You'd need something more like a 75 degree field of view to even have a chance of getting details. Or move the camera very close to the subject which has various ramifications.
KSus
Star
Star

I did not know that. I'm no techy, I'm an amature, so I appreciate your help. Thank you.