Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

theft protection for Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Khalil
Initiate
Initiate

I have been told that I can not put my camera behind the window looking outside, however, to prevent people taking these expensive camera ( even with screw on base) to be easily stolen?  Can I use dome protection that it has been used for other camera or the motion detector would not work with them either?  any advice is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Any type of glass or other material in front of the camera can block the PIR sensor from actually detecting motion.  Since IR light is easily reflected, these cameras aren't designed to be placed in domes or behind glass.  That said, position is everything.  My cameras are high enough on my house that unless the thief is bringing a ladder and climbs up to get them, they aren't going anywhere.  I'd also have video of them doing the same.  Really, no camera is completely safe outside.  Even a regular camera could be detached, unhooked, and stolen.  Arlo is no different.  I just recommend good placement and perhaps use an arlo skin to conceal the camera.  If you can't see it, you can't steal it. Get creative. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Any type of glass or other material in front of the camera can block the PIR sensor from actually detecting motion.  Since IR light is easily reflected, these cameras aren't designed to be placed in domes or behind glass.  That said, position is everything.  My cameras are high enough on my house that unless the thief is bringing a ladder and climbs up to get them, they aren't going anywhere.  I'd also have video of them doing the same.  Really, no camera is completely safe outside.  Even a regular camera could be detached, unhooked, and stolen.  Arlo is no different.  I just recommend good placement and perhaps use an arlo skin to conceal the camera.  If you can't see it, you can't steal it. Get creative. 

Khalil
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you, that was very informative and I do appreciate you taking your time to respond to my Inquiry.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

You are most welcome.  Good luck in your camera placement, just make sure wherever you put it, it can't be reached or grabbed before you get a recording. Happy hiding. 🙂