Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

spiders on cameras/arlo pro

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Tatertot526
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hi we have the Arlo Pro and I wondering if anyone else is having issues with spiders being drawn to the devices and building webs across the front of them? I am attaching a link of one of many spiders building a web right across our camera at night. It seems as if the night vision red light is drawing insects in and constantly setting off our system at night. I'm wondering if this is a problem for anyone else? I would like to include I live in the city and spiders has never been a problem before.
https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/10AF71AB1A2471BD_201706
7 REPLIES 7
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's probably not the night vision that draws them but the specific location. I get spiders at various times on all my outdoor cameras but only occasionally. I just put one in a new location and I may have to move it because the location seems to be perfect for them to attach webs to it.
mcmu12
Luminary
Luminary

I suggest spraying the area weekly with bug spray and/or carefully wiping the camera body with spray.  just an idea

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Be careful with this because of the petroleum distillates found in many of these.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I just swiffer the cams about once a week this time of year with inch worms, spiders... it will slow down

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
greenbrg
Tutor
Tutor

Is there anything that works to keep the spinders away from the cameras?  I have the boots on mine and the spinders do like to make a web on them but it does not seem to catch many bugs.  Just wondering what people have tried to keep spinders off beside spraying every few days etc...

Thanks

Jared

surfer1000
Luminary
Luminary
Yes these buggers are the bain of my life, never saw this problem coming, always had cameras indoors pointed out my window before arlo, now the web problem, there is always something!
Kmelander1
Guide
Guide

Yep, same problem here. The best solution I have found is to periodically wipe them away. Also, I have somewhat overcome the problem by integrating the cameras with my Wink2 hub. When the camera detects motion, I trigger the outside lights on which eliminates the obstructive view of the cameras IR reflecting off the webs. For some reason, the spiders themseves, and their webs blowing in the wind, seldom trigger a false alarm. I think the camera uses a PIR motion detection system which is immune to small critters. Wasps, bees and large spiders will trigger the motion alarm though and it does happen every once in a while.