Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

re: charging batteries

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

After recharging battery - would it damage the battery if I kept it plugged in the wall socket all the time even while camera is in use?  The wall socket is close to location of the camera and by keeping it plugged in, I wouldn't have to recharge the battery.  The big question is: Could this damage the battery or the camera?    Is the a difference between a charging cable and a Power Cable Adapter for Arlo Pro & Pro 2.  Can I get away with just using the charging cable instead of a power cable adapter?  Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

If I turn off the led button (Battery Fully Charged Indicator), does it also turn off the night vision led lights?

No.

@Northern_billy wrote:

Can the quick charging cable be plugged in at all times (even after battery is fully charged) for continuous charging

Yes.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

After recharging battery - would it damage the battery if I kept it plugged in the wall socket all the time even while camera is in use?  

Arlo says no. See the note at the end of this kb article: https://kb.arlo.com/1143936/Safety-Rules-for-Arlo-Rechargeable-Batteries 

Note: Arlo charging stations and cameras have safety limits to prevent overcharging. You can leave your cameras and charging stations plugged in with no harmful effects.

@Northern_billy wrote:

Is the a difference between a charging cable and a Power Cable Adapter for Arlo Pro & Pro 2.  Can I get away with just using the charging cable instead of a power cable adapter?  Thanks

Not sure what you mean by this.

Arlo offers an indoor and an outdoor charger for the Pro & Pro 2 - both include a cable and a power adapter. If the camera is sheltered from the weather (for instance in an unheated garage), you can use the indoor cable.

If you are asking if you can substitute a third-party cable:

The cable itself has standard connectors, but third party cables might not fit into the camera end.  The socket is recessed (probably to increase weather protection).  Third party chargers that support quick charge can be used instead of the Arlo charger.  However, Arlo recommends using Arlo chargers and cables.

Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response.  My Model: VMB4000 isn't on the list of the page you suggested.  2) Once fully charged, the blue light on the camera goes on and since it will always be charged - must mean that the blue light will always be on - correct?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

My Model: VMB4000 isn't on the list of the page you suggested. 

The VMB4000 is a base station, not a camera model (which start with VMC).

The Pro camera (VMC4030) and Pro 2 camera (VMC4030P) are both listed.

@Northern_billy wrote:

2) Once fully charged, the blue light on the camera goes on and since it will always be charged - must mean that the blue light will always be on - correct?

By default, yes.  But there is a setting (Camera LED) that you can change to turn full charge indicator off.

Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you - 2 questions:  1) -  If I turn off the led button (Battery Fully Charged Indicator), does it also turn off the night vision led lights?

2) Is there a difference between the quick charging cable that came with the unit and cable adapter (that is purchased separately).  In other words - Can the quick charging cable be plugged in at all times (even after battery is fully charged) for continuous charging OR do I need to purchase a special adapter cable for continuous charging?

Thanks

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Northern_billy wrote:

If I turn off the led button (Battery Fully Charged Indicator), does it also turn off the night vision led lights?

No.

@Northern_billy wrote:

Can the quick charging cable be plugged in at all times (even after battery is fully charged) for continuous charging

Yes.

Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant
Northern_billy
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can you suggest where to buy an extended usb cable (at least 15 feet) and adapter?  There are many sites that offer cables with different voltage wiring without the adapter.  I want to buy the right product for my Arlo pro cameras.  Either Ebay or amazon.   Whatever you find in comparability, can you send me the link?  Many thanks