Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 7 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
Lifestyleliving
Initiate
Initiate

My cameras are saying "Your arlo device appears offline, please make sure that is powered on and connected to the internet"

I see that alot of people post this problem but i cant seem to find away to fix it.

Can some one help me?

14 REPLIES 14
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

First try and reboot the base with the power button, let it come back on line.

If not, then get the camera and reset by pulling and replacing the battery pack, resync if needed ( may not need to )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
Lifestyleliving
Initiate
Initiate

Thank you for the advice but it has been unsuccessful.

I have also done the syncing of the cameras again but still the same message on my PC screen?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Lifestyleliving,

Do you see the same behavior when viewing from other devices? What browser are you using? This could be a display issue on your PC, are you running any security software such as Bitdefender?

JamesC

kbobn
Guide
Guide

James C

I have a similar problem with "devise appears to be offline", cameras drop offline and not being able to access Mode feature from my PC.  I noticed you mentioned that Bitdefender may be a problem and I also have Bitdefender.  Is there an issue with this progdram?

Bob

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yes. Support should be able to give you clues and there are threads here - search for "bitdefender". Iirc, the issue is needing to whitelist arlo.netgear.com. Whether that's your specific issue, I can't be sure since I thought it started with an inability to set the system up in the first place.
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

kbobn,

An easy step to take first would be to try using a device that does not have Bitdefender installed to see if you get the same behavior. You should also try(temporarily) disabling Bitdefender and see if you get the same results.

JamesC

kbobn
Guide
Guide

Thanks JamesC for your response. I've tried placing Arlo on the whitelist and rebooted Arlo base. I have noticed that all the videos were 15 to 18 seconds long even when the dog was still walking 5 feet in front of the camera. Also with geofencing activated, it recorded me walking through the house with my cell phone in my hand, but only for 16 seconds. I have received this same notice "offline" on my cell. It is interesting on my cell, I received the audio without the image.
I may have solved the problem. I unplugged my modem, router and Arlo base and reconnected 2 minutes apart in that order. So far all seems to be working well. However, all recordings are still only 14 to 18 seconds long even when there is continuing activity. Strange…maybe a defect in the program?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The size and speed of the dog could be an issue in detection, as well as the direction. Without a video to see it's hard to tell. For people, I've gotten as much as a minute of recording, obviously not the full​ 5 minutes but motion wasn't necessarily close to the camera.
DruBee
Tutor
Tutor

come on...I've had this thing for less than a week-I have no bitdefender, you have no customer support-WTH?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Apparently you haven't told us what the problem is, what you've done to try to fix it or found the Contact Support link at the bottom here.

tko1717
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had this problem forever and can't seem to figure out how to resolve it. It's extremely frustrating as the Arlo Base appears to just shut down the connection in as little as a couple hour. The longest I have seen it function so far without the boot is 3 days. 

I have tried everything, switched out the legacy Arlo Base for the Pro version. Bought all pro cameras, updated the firmware, replaced the batteries. The Base just kills the connection all the time. 

When I come to the base, there is only one amber light on (the right one). The other two are not lit. Simply resetting the base, fixes the issue (but again for a day if I'm lucky). 

My only "working" solution to this so far has been to purchase a Smart Outlet, plug the Arlo Base into it and every time I see that the base is unresponsive, I simply reset the outlet. Great solution except for that one time that I would really need the cameras working and they are disconnected without any notice. 

Any suggestions would be really appreciated. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It could be anything from your ISP connection to power outages to the signal quality between cameras to te base. Any error messages?  Are your various firmware versions up to date? Have you tried moving the cameras closer to the base?

tko1717
Aspirant
Aspirant
No error messages besides your device is offline (where would I even see them?). Don't know about the disconnect until I launch the app. It would certainly be nice if we got a push notification that the Arlo base appears offline.

The cameras are not that close but I don't see how this could be an issue as it's the base that goes offline every time (amber light, no green lights). Again, restarting the base fixes the issue but only temporarily.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If all LEDs on the base are amber, I'd strongly suspect a bad power supply or base.  Hardware issues can only be resolved by opening a case with support.  We can't do a thing here.