Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

"This Arlo device is offline" (Aro Pro) error. CONSTANTLY!

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
CaptainAhab5000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

I'm having the same problem that it seems that everyone is having and its beyond frustrating.

Model: Arlo Pro

Firmware: 1.092.0.3_12290 - No new firmware version is available.

Base station:

Firmware 1.8.9.0_11528 - No new firmware version is available.

Internet speed: Comcast 300 Mbps

iOS app being used (latest version) 2.4.0 (both my wife's phone and my phone)

I have tried:

Power cycling - Did not work

Resyncing cameras seven times - Did not work

Battery is currently at 98% - Charging up did not work

Moving the base station  closer to the camera (it is currently within 17 feet)

Moving the base station away from the WIFI router (it is currently 30 feet away)

Checking my ethernet cable (swapped two)

The device is reading as offline and unabailable 95% of the time.

Someone broke into my wife's car two days ago and we bought this unit yesterday and it has been so inconsistent and absolutely frustrating.  The unit is not cheap, but it is well made - at least from an external perspective - but if this unit cannot do what it is designed to do consistently then it does not work. From everything I have read on these forums in a search for a fix, Netgear's customer service is apparently atrocious.  I am not looking forward to dealing with that tomorrow.

4 REPLIES 4
Streak2
Master Master
Master

You are posting on the Arlo forum but it sounds like you have a pro system.

Either way, have you tried a factory reset of the base and pulling and replacing the batteries in the camera in order to reset the cameras?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Knowledge-Base/How-can-I-reset-my-Arlo-base-station-to-the-def...

Before doing this though, I would also try and access the system using a web browser https://arlo.netgear.com/ to eliminate any IOS issues

CaptainAhab5000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hey Sage,

sorry about posting in the wrong section, hopefully a mod or someone can move it for me.  In any case; I have removed and replaced the batteries about 12 times or so, my father-in-law and myself have done a factory reset I think three times or so, and last night I tried accessing the system via firefox and chrome.

Last night I decided to go at the system again and took the camera down to try re-syncing again.  I left the camera sitting on the base station, this seemed to deal with the camera/base losing their connection constantly, but instead now I was getting a "Cannot connect to the media server" problem.

This was confusing for two reasons - as I mentioned in my initial post the camera is about 17' from the base.  Its pretty much a straight shot between the camera and the base station with one wall with a 3' window between.  Secondly the camera is 17' which I imagine would not be a problem as its rated for 300'.

This kind of sealed the deal for me on this system. I love the build quality, I love the look, and I just needed the system to work.  As far as I can see I've eliminated any sort of problem that the device could be having on my end as a user.  No one should buy a product and spend money on a product and spend 90% of the time trying to make it work.  It simply does not make sense. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

It sounds like you could have some local wifi interference.

What other wifi devices do you have running that you could switch off temporarily to see if that would help?

Have you tried restarting your Comcast router?

Try accessing your Arlo account on a different network such as a work network if your system is setup at home
When accessing the Arlo Mobile App, try to access while on Wi-Fi and then on your cellular data to see if there is any different behavior.

CaptainAhab5000
Aspirant
Aspirant

Streak2,

My father-in-law, who's a computer nerd by profession and I tested the for wifi congestion. He used a couple diagnostic tools on his laptop which showed the house is pretty well off, then we tried different channels from the router for good measure, and the problem persisted.  We then shut down all other WIFI dependent devices including the PS4 and the problem persisted.  We left everything off because we were heading out to dinner and while out for about three hours or so I tried numerous times to connect and the problem persisted while being away from the house.

I went and returned the Arlo camera and brought home a Nest system and it's been running without a single problem for the last five hours or so.  

Thank you for the help.  I really liked the Arlo system, I liked the build quality, and I liked the alarm feature.  When it actually did work, which is probably about 4% of the time all in all the image quality was decent and the sound quality and sensitivity was good.  I really wish it worked out.