Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
JamJuice
Tutor
Tutor

Hi -

Been using two Arlo Pro wireless cameras for a couple weeks and I've noticed they only record either 16 or 21 seconds most of the time.  Even when there is still motion, they turn off.  They start recording again shortly after and I end up with loads of short video clips.   I have the selected the option to record until there is no more motion. I've also re-sync'd the cameras. Have I got some faulty equipment?

Thanks

79 REPLIES 79
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
BTW, I use longer timed recordings with only modest impacts on battery life. Obviously, the more that's recorded, the faster the drain but that's just a fact that I live with. You don't have to use long recordings since it will record again after the reset period. Action in between would be missed but that may be better than the short recordings you're getting now.
mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:
BTW, I use longer timed recordings with only modest impacts on battery life. Obviously, the more that's recorded, the faster the drain but that's just a fact that I live with. You don't have to use long recordings since it will record again after the reset period. Action in between would be missed but that may be better than the short recordings you're getting now.

That would be fantastic if it actually kept detecting motion in the field of view and started a new clip but I have many 16,18,21 second clips and HUGE chunks missing.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mystery9,

If you could, post a screenshot from the cameras point of view of the area you are trying to detect motion. That may give us a better understanding of why you aren't getting the expected results.

JamesC

ArloSchmarlo
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just bought my Arlo Pro system with 2 cameras over Memorial Day weekend. I'm having the identical problem. They're both set for continuous record (300 sec max) and both cameras only record 16 seconds max for EVERY recording regardless if there is continuous motion. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You have to realize that the motion has to be detectable by the camera, not your eyes. The same thing that would trip your camera for normal recording lengths needs to be the same for recording while motion continues.
mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

jguerdat wrote:
You have to realize that the motion has to be detectable by the camera, not your eyes. The same thing that would trip your camera for normal recording lengths needs to be the same for recording while motion continues.

yup and as a bunch of us folk are stating, it is not working

Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice
I believe that one motion is detected, it starts recording... During recording the motion sensor isnt active... So it stops recording after the default 16 secs... Carema then resets and 3-5 secs later motion sensor reactivates and robber has left with my tv
Freddy112178
Tutor
Tutor
How do you change the time on the recordings. Mine is only 10 seconds.
mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Addyhash wrote:
I believe that one motion is detected, it starts recording... During recording the motion sensor isnt active... So it stops recording after the default 16 secs... Carema then resets and 3-5 secs later motion sensor reactivates and robber has left with my tv

Or in my case it doesn't even start capturing the motion again for a minute or two even when the motion is occurring in the preferred field of view for the motion sensor to function.

Freddy112178
Tutor
Tutor
How do you get 16-21. Mjne is only 10seconds for motivating n outside....

Inside for an audio is 16 odd. Is there a setting that needs to be used? I cant seen to figure it out. A little libgwr will help for me with my recordings
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mystery9,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Freddy112178,

Take a look here for increasing recording duration: How do I adjust Arlo video recording length?

JamesC

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

mystery9,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

Freddy112178,

Take a look here for increasing recording duration: How do I adjust Arlo video recording length?

JamesC

I have, they suggested rebooting and re-pairing which did nothing. I stand by my comments. Netgear really missed the mark with this. This is not a good solution for anything security-related. Its more a toy that doesn't function well. Oh and they don't include a weatherproof cable and my units battery lasted four days in a moderate traffic area. #Fail

Jcoren619
Star
Star

JamesC,

Same issue here 9 out of 10 clips stops at exactly 16 seconds even when there is continual motion.  I sent you a private message but please lets start by agreeing there is yet another bug within the system that needs to be addressed.

It seems once Arlo acknowledges there is a problem it is much easier to get it debugged instead of spending 2 months telling everyone they are not experiencing what in fact they are experiencing.

Please advise as this is super annoying.

Thank you,

jcoren619

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jcoren619,

JamesC

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC wrote:

Jcoren619,

JamesC

They are useless. Like I said, their "fix" was rebooting and re-pairing. There is a major issue with their devices/firmware. Rebooting and re-pairing will not fix. 

Jcoren619
Star
Star

Mystery9 &JamesC,

Mystery9 you are 100% correct, this what netgear does when there is a problem, instead of owning and saying "yes we are aware there is an issue and we are working on correcting it", they make you play a game where you contact Support.

support is in the Philippines but they don't disclose that to you and all support is capable of doing is telling you the reboot and repair, which 99 out of 100 is a complete waste of time.

JamesC, there are at least 20 people on this thread who are having an issue with same thing, stop pawning everyone off to support and work on fixing the issue just like 2 months ago with the false motion defections that you swore wasn't netgear fault and turned out to be!!!

jcoren619

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Jcoren619 wrote:

Mystery9 &JamesC,

Mystery9 you are 100% correct, this what netgear does when there is a problem, instead of owning and saying "yes we are aware there is an issue and we are working on correcting it", they make you play a game where you contact Support.

support is in the Philippines but they don't disclose that to you and all support is capable of doing is telling you the reboot and repair, which 99 out of 100 is a complete waste of time.

JamesC, there are at least 20 people on this thread who are having an issue with same thing, stop pawning everyone off to support and work on fixing the issue just like 2 months ago with the false motion defections that you swore wasn't netgear fault and turned out to be!!!

jcoren619

Does JamesC actually work for Netgear and have the ability to escalate or is he just a moderator that does this in his free time?

Jcoren619
Star
Star

Jamesc works for them or with them and at very minimum has direct contact to their programmers in California.

When I first got the product around the beginning of the year, there was a problem where for no reason the cameras would detect 50 motion events out of no where when there was no actual motion. And there were a lot of people who experienced the same thing.

Netgear did they same exact thing, told me to contact support and jump thru 20 hoops. Only until 1 day jamesc contacted me and said there's an issue netgear is trying fix it and added me to an "experimental firmware update" which ultimately fixed the problem and then that "firmware update" was released to the public.

I am 99.9% certain that is the case here that it is a netgear bug, however the must enjoy putting their customers thru the wringer first, they think it's a good biz practice obviously...

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have escalated this topic to engineering for further investigation. If you have a case open already with support, please provide me with the case number and I will add your case to the escalation for review.

JamesC

Addyhash
Apprentice
Apprentice
Good to see its been escalated🙌 There is a definate fault that needs rectification
Jcoren619
Star
Star

Thank you JamesC!!!

JamJuice
Tutor
Tutor

I really hope they fix this huge problem. I've had two sets of cameras now. The tech support told me to return the first set after telling me to re-sync them etc which did nothing.  I have a long list of 16 second clips.  Recording stops even when there is still motion; including the same motion that triggered the camera in the first place.  So far it's been one expensive toy that doesn't work.

Thanks

Tspunk
Aspirant
Aspirant

i have this issue too.

they need to rework their algorithm if CLEARLY, there is some issue if EVERYBODY with the issue is getting the 16 second problem.   It's not like all of us have motion that ALL stop at an exact time, so why is the result always 16 seconds.   And if so, then that means the motion detection software needs to be thought out. 

If it's detecting motion for only 5 seconds from initial recording, for instance, that would be stupid if the motion ends in 3 seconds or something.   It should continue to detect motion for a configurable amount of time.

For instance, I want to set it to detect motion, and continue to look for motion with X second intervals.   So, once motion stops, continue recording for X seconds and continue to look for motion.

This way, if a burglar walks up to house, arlo records.   at 4 seconds, he has stopped moving for 3 seconds because he's looking into my window.  So now, after 5 seconds from initial start, there is no motion, so Arlo stops.

Instead, I configure a 5 second wait time.  So, burglar stops at 4 seconds, looking into a window for 3 seconds.  He finally moves again, so this is at the 7 second mark.   In this case,  at 5 seconds, arlo waits another 5 seconds for motion.   Therefore, he would see the burglar move during the wait time and then continue recording and repeating for every time it thinks motion stopped.

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Tspunk wrote:

i have this issue too.

they need to rework their algorithm if CLEARLY, there is some issue if EVERYBODY with the issue is getting the 16 second problem.   It's not like all of us have motion that ALL stop at an exact time, so why is the result always 16 seconds.   And if so, then that means the motion detection software needs to be thought out. 

If it's detecting motion for only 5 seconds from initial recording, for instance, that would be stupid if the motion ends in 3 seconds or something.   It should continue to detect motion for a configurable amount of time.

For instance, I want to set it to detect motion, and continue to look for motion with X second intervals.   So, once motion stops, continue recording for X seconds and continue to look for motion.

This way, if a burglar walks up to house, arlo records.   at 4 seconds, he has stopped moving for 3 seconds because he's looking into my window.  So now, after 5 seconds from initial start, there is no motion, so Arlo stops.

Instead, I configure a 5 second wait time.  So, burglar stops at 4 seconds, looking into a window for 3 seconds.  He finally moves again, so this is at the 7 second mark.   In this case,  at 5 seconds, arlo waits another 5 seconds for motion.   Therefore, he would see the burglar move during the wait time and then continue recording and repeating for every time it thinks motion stopped.

Mine missed a major incident today, clearly this product has major issues

mystery9
Apprentice
Apprentice

Looks like one of my cameras died right at the 30 day mark of ownership. Thankfully Amazon is making an exception and taking back this junk and all the accessories I bought. I have owned a dozen security camera setups over the years, and while the arlo looked the most promising feature-wise, it is PURE JUNK! I hear the Nest is better so going to give that a try.