keypad doesn't recognize 2.4ghz network in app

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Linda2030
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been trying to add the Home Security keypad as my first device to my network for days now.  Using Century Link, had them disable 5g, so I only have 2.4ghz now. Rebooted modem/router many times as well as the keypad and app.  Have created a guest account, WPA, broadcast is set.  Disabled on my phone my other log-ins using the forget feature so that the phone only sees the guest account.  Download speeds fluctuate between 15 & 56, upload from 12 to 48.  Have tried connecting when speeds are faster, but the app still only shows my neighbor's networks, not mine.  Have tried manually adding mine, but no luck.  I have no trouble with my computer or other devices at this speed.  Have called customer service 3 times, no help there after what I have done per their suggestions.  They seem to think my speeds aren't fast enough, but they say I only need 10mps.  They say I'm below at the time I call, although speedtest shows otherwise.  Do I need to install some other device first?  If I ever get this installed, will I have trouble with every other device I want to add?  Can I connect the device to the router/modem directly?  Any suggestions to get the keypad added will be appreciated. Have reviewed other users comments.

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Is the phone connected to the guest wifi network when you try to add the home security system?

If you are using a VPN you need to disable it.

Linda2030
Aspirant
Aspirant

yes, the phone is.  I do not have a VPN set up.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Linda2030 wrote:

yes, the phone is.  I do not have a VPN set up.

Normally I'd suggest doing a factory reset of the device.  But I don't think you can reset the home security system until after you set up the PIN.  Which of course you can't do, until after you install it.

I'm tagging the mods ( @BrookeN , @ShayneS , @JamesC ) in hopes they can assist.

Linda2030
Aspirant
Aspirant

One of the customer support people had me hold down the checkmark and the X at the same time because I never got to the point of putting in the pin (per support documents).  So I have done that each time I reset the router/modem.  Thank you for suggesting a couple of things I had not seen elsewhere.  One thing to note that is new now that Century Link dropped me to 2.4 is that after I manually add the network to the app, it comes back as no internet connection found on my phone.  Which can't be right, because I have the phone set to that network and can access the internet while in the Arlo app.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Linda2030 wrote:

Which can't be right, because I have the phone set to that network and can access the internet while in the Arlo app.

Did you test that with mobile data turned off?

Linda2030
Aspirant
Aspirant

no, but maybe I'm not understanding a basic concept.  Don't I have to have mobile data turned on for wifi to be accessible?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Linda2030 wrote:

Don't I have to have mobile data turned on for wifi to be accessible?

No, they are separate networks.  You can use wifi with mobile data turned off.

The phone will connect to the internet using mobile data if the wifi connection can't reach the internet.

Another way to check the internet connectivity is to connect a PC to the 2.4 ghz wifi, and see if you can access the internet.

But I suggest trying the install with mobile data off, but the phone wifi on (and connected).  Also if you use a VPN on the phone, then turn that off during the install.

Linda2030
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the simple explanation.  Per your suggestion, I did turn off mobile data, have wi-fi on, can see my available networks on the phone.  I am able to watch movies on my computer without it freezing, so that tells me I have a strong enough connection.  I have also removed the guest account on my modem/router in case I didn't set that up correctly to see if the main connection will default to being picked up.  The Arlo still doesn't pull up my Wi-Fi in the available networks.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have actually factory reset my Keypad Sensor successfully without the PIN code. Here is the steps to factory reset the keypad. Please let me know if there is any questions.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062967/How-do-I-factory-reset-the-Arlo-Keypad-Sensor-Hub

Linda2030
Aspirant
Aspirant

These instructions are only if the device got connected.  When I go to devices, I am trying to add my device (keypad) but my network is not showing.  The instructions indicate I can select my device, when I am not even at that step.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Support will be reaching out to you to assist with the set up of the keypad. They will get a hold of you as soon as possible.