Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

is the arlo pro manufactured in the US?

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
wendyb
Tutor
Tutor

I'm a netgear user but now i'm wondering if I'm a dope. Where does netgear manufacture the Arlo Pro, which I'd like to get, but not if it's made in a country were they will be including a backdoor. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
As far as I can tell, it's made in China. How much is made there or if it's just assembled there, no idea.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
As far as I can tell, it's made in China. How much is made there or if it's just assembled there, no idea.
wendyb
Tutor
Tutor

thanks so much! total bummer because now i don't feel quite so confident in product givent he recent giveaway of icann. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'm not at all sure there's a reason to doubt the security. Any system can be hacked, regardless of country of design/manufacture. We've been told that Arlo doesn't use the chips involved in the recent Miria attack but that doesn't mean someone else can't figure a way to do Bad Things. Such worries are way down my list of Things To Worry About...

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One more PS - just looked at my Pro base and it was made in Vietnam. Not sure about the cameras - I'd have to pull one down to look.

wendyb
Tutor
Tutor

i hear ya! 🙂 my concern is not the hacking but the backdoor access. i can set my firewall up and monitor, but a backdoor that i have no knowledge of that would not set off a hacking alert is my concern since this system will tie into my network.  😉 

i seem to remember netgear having an issue with one of their products having backdoor access built in by manufacturer.

wendyb
Tutor
Tutor

here it is - netgear routers were the problem....

hotforsecurity.com/blog/got-a-netgear-wireless-router-youve-got-a-security-problem-11429.html

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That post is nearly 2 years old. I have no idea how new or old those particular routers were at that time nor whether new firmware was made available to counteract the possibility of a threat. It depends on your level of paranoia as to whether it's really an issue or not. 

wendyb
Tutor
Tutor

yes, i'm a netgear router owner. i always buy netgear. as far as paranoia, it would seem if anyone is looking for an open backdoor to a network, i've done everything i can to prevent it, right? i'll pull the trigger on the unit. 

thanks for the sanity check! 🙂

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NETGEAR is aware of the recent cyberattacks that exploit insecure Internet of Things (IoT) devices to create distributed denial of service (DDoS) botnets. We believe that these attacks highlight the importance of IoT security and NETGEAR is working to establish and uphold security standards for IoT devices.

Arlo is not vulnerable to the Mirai malware. From the early stages of product development and throughout the product lifecycle, we are committed to proactively reducing our users’ cyber risks. Vulnerability and penetration testing on Arlo products is performed to identify and eliminate security vulnerabilities while we also continuously monitor the latest threats and strive to keep abreast of the latest state-of-the-art security developments by working closely with our partners and the security researcher community.

If you have any questions or comments with regard to this information, please contact us at: security@netgear.com.