Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

every time the Nighthawk changes channels, the Arlo Pro base follows suit

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ralfyguy1
Luminary
Luminary

I have a Arlo Pro base station and a Nighthawk X4 R7500v.2. The 2.4 GHZ network on the Nighthawk is set to Auto Channel selection. Now what I observed is that every time the Nighthawk changes channels, the Arlo Pro base follows suit to the same channel shortly after. Whatever the Nighthawk selects, the Arlo selects the same. Is that coincidence or by design? I always thought that it is supposed to be the oppsite and the signals are preferred to be NOT on the same channels. Since I cannot manually set channels on the Arlo, this is actually impossible to keep apart no matter what I set the Nighthawk on.

2 REPLIES 2
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes, it is normal...the Arlo base has been designed to follow the main router channel if close to it ( tech fiq'ed out there was less issues when on same channel and nearby )

Both of my bases are aprox 5 ft away from the router and cause no issues.

You can always move the base away from the main router via cable or wifi extender and when about 20 ft or so away it will choose the best channel ( or you can get it to follow yr router , then move the base away and change the router channel to a diff one )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's by design. If you check really old messages here, you may find a post that shows how/why this is a Good Thing. When the base is close to the router, the base will choose the same channel as the router for minimal interference. Some folks have found that moving the base away from the router has helped but my base has always been nearly touching the router with no issues.