Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

battery charger brand?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
KennyP14
Tutor
Tutor

Does anyone know if you HAVE to use included charger to charge the batteries in the Arlo Pro cameras?  I want to use the included power supply / charger as an always connected power supply to one of my cameras in a not-very-conveinient location, so as soon as I do that the charger will not be available to use to charge the other camers.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not having access to engineering data and procedures, I'd guess that a normal 1.5-2.0 amp USB wall wart would work. The specs on the supplied wart shows 3 different voltages and currents which would be used for the fast charge capability. A 5v charger would be a slow charge. You'd be on your own warranty-wise but I think it would work. YMMV.

Don't forget that you could potentially unplug the always-powered camera and use the charger to charge the other. And, eventually, there's the 2 battery charging station that can be purchased.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

KennyP14 wrote:

Does anyone know if you HAVE to use included charger to charge the batteries in the Arlo Pro cameras?  I want to use the included power supply / charger as an always connected power supply to one of my cameras in a not-very-conveinient location, so as soon as I do that the charger will not be available to use to charge the other camers.

Believe you MUST use the oem charger... the battery pack is charged up to 8.4v.

You'll nver get there on a 5v USB output.

The charger outputs 5v and 9v for the battery charging... My guess is they use one of the extra pins in the cable to power charge the PRO.

( or curcuit that checks whats connected )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------