Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
jsm174
Guide
Guide

Hello.

Today my arlo pro basestation said there was a firmware update:1.8.2.1_9773. I've tried to update via the phone and via the website, and it constantly fails.

Big problem with update procedure is you can not view the cameras over mobile because it will say "Firmware update available". When you tap okay, it automatically starts to install and then fails.

I've tried rebooting base unit multiple times.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 3.53.42 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 3.55.28 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-11-03 at 3.56.37 PM.png

Thanks,

-- Jason

9 REPLIES 9
Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

Check your internet connection and firewall settings.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, wait overnight to see if the update occurs. However, you may need to bite the bullet and reset the base and start fresh, reading the base and resynching the cameras.

jsm174
Guide
Guide

@jguerdat 

Thanks. I guess I'll just have to be patient. I have 3 cameras mounted perfectly the way I wanted outside, and I don't feel like going through a resync, etc.

The base unit blinks while it's trying to download, and then two minutes later in the browser it says failure to download file.

What I find interesting is they don't even have release notes listed for that firmware version.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes

They should have it downloadable and then just read it from a usb device on reboot.

jsm174
Guide
Guide

No luck overnight. No luck with countless reboots, and update base station clicks.

Is anyone else on 1.8.2.1_9773?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I am. IIRC, there was an update when installed the base and I believe that's what I got. In another thread, someone mentioned having a 2.x firmware. Dunno where that came from.

jsm174
Guide
Guide

Hello again.

I should have updated this topic a while ago, because I was finally able to get the firmware update to install.  I have a theory that I would like to share, because a new firmware update came out and I am having the same problem. 

First let me start off by saying I have very slow DSL. I believe the basestation may have a timeout on how long it takes to download the file. 

I took my iPhone and started a personal hotspot. I then connected my iMac's wifi to the iPhone hotspot and enabled internet sharing over the ethernet port. The iMac's ethernet port was then connected directly to the basestation. Basically the basestation was connected to the internet via LTE.

On the first try the basestation successfully updated the firmware. 

I then reconnected the basestation back to DSL and then updated all five cameras.

If it's not a timeout issue in the basestation, then it's the DSL or my router. Since it takes around 2 minutes before failing, I don't think it's the DSL. And since the cameras could update, I don't think it's the router.  Does the Arlo have any hidden logs we can access and examine?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No user-accessible logs - I believe that they're only available to support.  Opening a case won't get you the logs but may get the techs to look at them.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jsm174,

This sounds like it could be related to your DSL connection, what are you upload and download speeds? Very slow speeds could be causing the update to fail.

JamesC

paul34
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi jsm174 - just wanted to report that connecting to a hotspot worked - updates successful.  I cannot figure out why the netgear folks have such limitations especially on upload BW for updates when the equipment itself works just fine over a DSL connection.