Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

base Interference completely killing my wifi

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
getalex
Follower
Follower

I got the Arlo Pro 3 camera pack with base station and was happy to see it go such a great system.. but soon enough I started getting bad wifi signal - we are talking 2 maybe 3 mbps where my plan is 100mbps. With my mediocre wifi router I would always average around 30mbps or so but that's fast enough so I lived with it.. when I hit the low connectivity described I immediately blamed my provider thinking it's their problem. So I bought a better wifi router and still got low 1 to 3mpbs signals.. plugged in was fine, so this led me to believe 100% there was interference. I started to blame the neighbors and tried to find better channel settings etc... then suddenly it hit me: what if I turn off the Arlo base station?

Boom. no more problems. In fact, with this new wifi router I started getting up to 80mbps - it was miraculous.. soon as I turn the base station back on, I eventually kill out my wifi performance, all due to what can only be explained by interference!

what the **** do I do now? I can't really relocate the router or base station across the room. I need to make these two behave and cannot find any way to do so! I can't change the Arlo channel, so I wonder how can we coexist peacefully?! My goal is to keep the same SSID for 2.4 & 5.0 ghz because my printer connects to 2.4 and my laptop on the 5.0 ghz.. having two SSIDs is sort of a buzz kill anyway, things just don't work as naturally as you'd expect. it is certainly a pain to deal with this and I can't imagine being the only one affected. What do you suggest?

1 REPLY 1
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A few folks have reported similar issues. Generally, the fastest way to try to resolve this is to move the base relative to the router. It would appear that the use of a WiFi or powerline extender would work best in your situation to more easily be able to place the base at a distance from the router (different room?).

It's possible that the base has a real problem. Consider swapping at the store or opening a case with support here.