Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
MikeB560
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have not yet bought a ARLO PRO.  I have new siding on my house and do not want to drill holes into the siding for installation.  What is the best way to install or attach the camera to siding without compromising or damaging the siding?  Like to have something strong enough to hold it in place during high winds.  Any suggestions?

26 REPLIES 26
shipoopi
Aspirant
Aspirant

I think if you're trying to attach it to stucco you might not have a choice. For a wood beam I'd say drilling a hole is the strongest but I can't say much for the fact that there is only 1 mounting screw on the camera base.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had good luck with 3M molding tape ( double sided ) at the auto parts store...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
MikeB560
Aspirant
Aspirant

No, not attaching it to stucco.  Attaching to vinyl siding.

STR3T
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the same boat...looking to attach to vinyl siding.  Assume the Pro Mounts (sold separately) would work well, assuming the screws are long enough to hit a a stud (hopefully) or at least some plywood.  But you'll also want to ensure you don't drill into any live wiring or plumbing...

STR3T
Aspirant
Aspirant

Don't see an "edit" function...

Can anyone confirm the length of the screws that come with the Arlo Pro mount?

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo/outdoor-mount.aspx#VMA1000

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

I used 3M outdoor mounting tape at one location,  that camera has been upr for 2 years with no problems.

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks for the tip.  Wanting to install a camera by my patio door and there is no wood to mount to just siding.  

katdu
Aspirant
Aspirant

This link does not tell the length of the screws that come with the Arlo.

katdu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Screws are defnitely not long enough to hit anything solid. Don't know how I will mount these cameras on my vinyl siding. No other place to mount them! ugh

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I'd guess the screws are 1-1.5" long. Depending on how thick the foam board is behind the siding I think a 2-2.5" screw would be fine. I think that's what I used. Before permanently mounting, though, try double-sided tape to check positioning. And if the screws turn out to be too short, just remove them and use a longer screw of the same diameter.
veener79
Luminary
Luminary

I just mounted 3 of my camera to my vinyl siding.  I used the tape below.  It states it will hold 15lbs.  Did two strips on the back and that took up about 95% of the back.  

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-1-66-yds-Permanent-Double-Sided-Outdoor-Mounting-Tape-41...

They are holding up perfect so far.  I need to move one because I put it too close to my flag and it trips a lot.  So now I will not have to worry about filling in a hole if I would have used a longer screw.  

katdu
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you so much. It looks like the tape will have to be my answer for at least one of my cameras. I made a tiny pilot hole in the siding and when it hit nothing I inserted a wire and it went in almost 5 inches before it hit anything solid and then I don't know what it's hitting. This part of the house is a front porch that was added later so who knows. Thanks so much for letting me know about the tape. 

Hula_Rock
Prodigy Prodigy
Prodigy

No Problem....  just check on it every couple of months.   I was a little concerned about the tape since it was installed at a location with full direct South Texas sun/heat  (8 hours a day).  It has been fine for a couple of years now.

MG24
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am looking to use the double sided tape to attach a camera to my siding, which mount did you use? The outdoor mount or the outdoor security mount? Thanks.

dfwald
Tutor
Tutor

I used the 3M outdoor double sided tape from Home Depot on all of my outdoor camera mounts and it seemed to hold for many months but recently one fell off.  I then re-applied tape to it and bought Loctite Stik'n Seal outdoor adhesive to apply along the top half edge where it met the brick I was sticking it to.  This water resistant adhesive along the edge together with the tape did the trick and now my mount should never come off.  I'm using the dome mounts that come free with the cameras on brick.

DreamTeam
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just had a question about the 3M mounting tape - do you find that it is really secure? Just want to make sure no one can just grab the camera and run.

Thanks!
MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice

i am using 3M command tape. It's been up for amost a month now with no issues. FYI, its been under 20 degrees F for a few days now..

veener79
Luminary
Luminary

Right now we have had nights and days staying below 0.  Down to -15 at some points.  The 3M is holding up great.  

SteveMonty
Star
Star
I have vinyl siding in a location I want to put a camera. I'm going to try Phenoseal vinyl adhesive. Thought of command strips or something like that, but my Simplisafe door sensors use those. In winter, the sensor aleays falls off of my garage door.
ac3dc11
Aspirant
Aspirant

I live Midwest with Winter weather etc. Did you use the Outdoor Security Mount or Magnetic or just put the tape on the camera? Thanks. I am so new to this 🙂  I live in a rented mobile home so trying to figure out my options since they won't like if I use screws to attach to roof. I have no guttering, etc. to work with. Appreciate all the help I can get 🙂

MrA2u1
Apprentice
Apprentice
Using the magnetic mount. Picture attached.
SteveMonty
Star
Star
For that application, I used the small magnetic mount. The larger 3 screw mount is pretty heavy, and didn't want to chance the camera falling. I wouldn't mount the camera without a mount, due to battery charging / replacment. Hope that helps.
ac3dc11
Aspirant
Aspirant

Great Thanks

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the home is made of metal, you may have issues with signal strength. Let us know if outdoor cameras have problems staying connected to the base.