Will newer Arlo Pro work with Arlo Pro VMC4030

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
ncairns1
Aspirant
Aspirant

We have 5 Arlo Pro VMC4030 cameras and all work great except one. Despite changing batteries numerous times, I think that the camera needs to be replaced as it will not sync to the base station. I'm not seeing that model available for purchase. What model would be the best replacement? Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ncairns1 wrote:

We have 5 Arlo Pro VMC4030 cameras and all work great except one. Despite changing batteries numerous times, I think that the camera needs to be replaced as it will not sync to the base station. I'm not seeing that model available for purchase. What model would be the best replacement? Thank you.

All of the new cameras will require a subscription for cloud storage (the 7-day cloud storage you have now was discontinued for new cameras back in 2018).

Do you have a VMB4000 base?  (there is a VMBxxxx label somewhere on the base).

Dannybear
Master
Master

Unless you have a subscription plan your account will be limited to 5 legacy cameras.

If you have five cameras listed in your account my devices page and try to add another camera this could be why you cannot add. If a camera has not been successfully removed from the account you can only resync it again but not add as it already exists as a fifth camera.

A re-sync can be done by pressing the base top button (VMB4000) then pressing the camera sync button.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/images/documents/arlopro/arlo-pro-base-station-accessory-QSG.pdf 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:

Unless you have a subscription plan your account will be limited to 5 legacy cameras.

True, but I think the intent is to remove the failing camera.  And a new model would require a subscription anyway.

@ncairns1: I asked about the base because VMB3XXX bases don't support any of the newer cameras.  A VMB4000 would be fully compatible with everything.

However, most of the newest cameras also can connect directly to your home wifi.  The least expensive option is the Arlo Essential spotlight.  The downside of this camera is that the battery cannot be removed. 

The Pro 4 has a removable battery (not the same one as the Pros), and uses a different charging cable.  Like the essential, it can connect either to a VMB4xxx or VMB5000 base, or directly to your home wifi. 

Dannybear
Master
Master

@StephenB 

Apologies for the over post. Thought it was a unanswered thread.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:

Apologies for the over post. Thought it was a unanswered thread.

No problem.  If @ncairns1 ends up going with a used Pro or Pro 2 to avoid subscription costs, then the 5 camera limit is certainly relevant.

ncairns1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you. We do have a subscription plan. 5 cameras total including the one that doesn't want to sync. I did remove it as a device, and now, can't add it again. It has always been problematic and I am thinking we just need to replace it. Will another newer model work?

ncairns1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you.

ncairns1
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes, our base is a VMB4000

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@ncairns1 wrote: