Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Will Arlo work with a sim card modem/router?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
ArloUser1255
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello everyone. Looking for a bit of help. My work would like to have a survelance system set up at their factory, so i mentioned to them that i've got an Arlo system and it works great They were interested.

Now, one small thing; the factory does not have a Internet land line set up, nor can we. Even though several places down the road have internet, the ISP's have said that we are not allowed. So that limited us.

My boss would like all to view the cameras on his phone and recieve notifications, so having the system online is a must. What i suggested is to buy a Modem/Router which accepts a mobile sim card, purchase a $70 for 14GB plan (maybe even cheaper considering when only need data, no calls), connect the base station to the ethernet port on the Router and connect through the internet via the sim card.

Has anyone ever does anything similar and does that seem like it should work, also does putting the sim card into a modem limit the speed? I just don't want the boss to purchase a $200 router and $600 Arlo system to find out we can't use it..

This is the router i was planning on getting: DLINK 4G LTE-Wireless Router (DWR-921)

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It should work but can't guarantee it.  As long as the base can be connected via Ethernet to your internal network, there is a good chance it will work.  

The data plan may be the limiting fastor depending on how much recording and/or live viewing is done. An active site may kill that data plan before the month is out. A 2 minute video at best quality may consume as much as 15MB so quality settings, the amount of recordings and their length, as well as whether the boss is going to be using live view on a regular basis will all be considerations.

ArloUser1255
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the informative reply. Unsure if he's going to go through with it anymore.